Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Zane and I ran through the forest to get to Hank's house. I was better at controlling my wolf after Zane made him submit and running with him made me feel giddy on the inside. I had no time for such a feeling though when my best friend and potentially my parents were in trouble.

We stopped at the edge of the forest and we both shifted back. I started to pace as I looked through the remaining trees and saw Xavier in the living room window yelling at Hank, who was crying and glaring at him. I shook my head and looked over at my mate who was watching my house.

My eyes shifted over to my house and I saw, through the small kitchen window, my mom washing dishes with no makeup and my father right behind her trying to talk to her. She kept pushing him off though and I frowned, knowing that this was never the way they were. Even when they argued they always made up a couple minutes later.

"She's sad about you leaving," Zane said, making me look at him. "I'm sorry for taking you away."

I shook my head and cupped his face. "It's okay, Zane. I belong with you and she knows that." He kissed me softly on the lips and then on my forehead before pulling me out of the trees. We walked straight up to the house, knowing there was no point in sneaking when he could sense us both.

The backdoor was unlocked and I walked straight in with Zane following me. We walked through the kitchen, and just as we were about to round the corner, Xavier popped in front of me and held a gun up.

"You're here," Xavier said with an evil smirk. I bit my lip as my eyes went past him and met Hank's bloodshot ones. I felt the gun come against my head and froze as a growl came from behind me.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing, Xavier?" Zane sneered. Xavier suddenly had heart eyes and pushed me behind him as he tried to hug Zane. If I wasn't busy looking over Hank I would have ripped him apart.

I looked around the room and suddenly stopped when I found Laura, Hank's mom, on the ground with her throat slit open. I reeled around and found Hank looking over at her with tears pouring from his eyes.

"Zane!" I snapped as Xavier held him up against the wall. I wanted to rip him off and stop Zane getting felt up but I knew it was better to hide my new strength for now. Zane pushed passed Xavier and looked over at where Laura laid dead.

"What did you do!?" he shouted.

"She wouldn't stop crying," Xavier answered with a frown. "She was praying and shit and do you know how annoying that is? I bet you do, Bible thumper." I growled at him and Zane shook his head as he grabbed my arm.

"Why are you doing this!?" I finally shouted. "I can't help who I am destined to be with!"

He waved around the gun as he shook his head. "But he could have!" He pointed to Zane, who looked down. "We were at the altar and he ran! He ran and said he needed to find his alpha mate!"

I looked over at Zane in astonishment. "You were going to marry him?"

"I... yeah?" he answered and Xavier tried to touch him but I pushed him away.

"Hands off, you fucking psycho!" I growled.

Untie Hank. We will discuss this later.

I love you.

Zane!

Going.

"Xavier, I know you feel hurt," I said, in order to distract him from Hank and Zane. "I would probably be hurt if that happened to me but you know what mates are and you know he couldn't help it."