Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

I was lying in bed using my Bibles to make a tower in the center of my room when I heard three knocks on my window. I smiled and looked back to see Hank's blonde hair barely showing over the windowsill. I opened my window and grinned at him.

"Wanna escape for a while?" he teased me with a grin.

"If my dad finds out I'm dead, Hank," I said but nonetheless pulled on a shirt.

"You've been locked up all weekend and detention starts tomorrow, so let's go," he said and helped me as I slid out of my window after I checked the lock on my door. Hank and I used his fence to climb onto his roof and laid down to look up at the stars.

We were lying in silence when suddenly he looked at me with his eyebrow cocked. "You know that new boy you beat up?" he questioned and I felt my blood automatically set fire. I couldn't help it. That boy was so annoying but he was so appealing.

"Struck a nerve?" Hank teased but I could hear the confusion in his voice. He probably was wondering why I was so mad and why I hated him so much but fuck if I even knew. He just had a way of getting under my skin.

"Why are you asking about Zane?" I finally asked after pulling myself out of my mind. Dangerous place that was.

Hank shrugged and looked back up. "He just seems... different."

"Different how?" I asked, feeling as though Hank was hinting at something. Everyone had been lately. Every time they saw the bad boy Zane, following me, the good boy, around, then everyone would start whispering and saying things that weren't true. Zane was just a stalker, he wasn't madly in love with me...

Hank cleared his throat. "Well, he stares at you too long sometimes when you're not looking."

So I've noticed. "So?"

"And he completely brushes off girls when they throw themselves at him."

Thank God for that one. "I don't see what this has to do with me, Hank."

Hank and I looked at each other before he bit his lip and sat up. "He follows you around everywhere and barely talks to anyone else, Jessie."

Well... "Okay?"

Hank finally threw his hands up and glared at me. "I think he's gay." My body jolted up and I opened stared at him. Gay. He said what I wouldn't dare to voice. What no one else would either. Guys like him were not gay.

"How could you say that, Hank?" I snapped. "That is sinful all by itself, but for you to say that about another man... Hank that's just wrong!" My body stayed in a panic as he scuffed and mumbled something under his breath.

"You think so? You think being gay is a sin?" he asked and I nodded. "You're almost as shallow as your dad right now."

I glared at him. "What the hell did you just say?"

"You're acting like your dad!" I went to push him when he pushed me onto my back and looked down at me expectantly. "Why is a man being gay so bad?" he asked quietly.

"In the Bible-"

"Other than the Bible, Jessie," he urged. I looked into his soft brown eyes. His eyes were always so sincere, even though he acted cold to everyone else but me. He was nice on the inside and that is why I knew him being sympathetic to the thought of a sinning gay man was natural for him. His mom was the same way, which is why no one in town really talked to her.

"Why do you care so much, Hank? You're the one that brought this up to begin with, so why do my standings even matter in this case?" I snapped and his brown eyes looked away from me. He touched the side of my face softly before snatching it away and distancing himself from me.

"I don't care," he whispered and the roof fell silent again.

"Zane is annoying and stupid. I hate him and I don't want to talk about him and the fact that he follows me around like we're lovers." I think enough about that on my own.

Hank looked over at me and opened his mouth but the words never came out. "You're ridiculous," he settled on saying, and then we both laughed. I pushed his shoulder as I stood up and then walked back to the fence so I could climb down.

"I love you, kid," I said teasingly.

"I love you, too," he answered and then I jumped down. My feet landed and I stared at the trees behind my house thinking of the wolf that clouded my mind just as much as Zane did. It was unnatural, all of it and the fact that the town now whispered about homosexuality in our midst only made it worse. I sighed and went go to my window when suddenly I looked up and found Zane standing against Hank's house with a cigarette between his lips.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I snapped at him. He smirked and then dropped his cigarette before stomping on it. He looked up at the roof where Hank still laid and smirked.

"You and him are sure close," Zane said slyly and then smiled at me. "Kind of cute of you guys."

I scoffed and crossed my arms. "You're a piece of work," I snapped and tried to walk away when he grabbed my hand and yanked me back into him. My eyes connected with his as he crushed me in his arms and suddenly I was overtaken by the feeling of home... safety...

What the hell?

"Jessie," he said close to my ear and I looked back into his eyes and felt frozen. "Hank was right," he mumbled and then let me go. My blood boiled as I watched him closely.

"He was right about what?" I whispered. He looked me deep in the eyes and then suddenly started to walk away. I went to grab him when the light in my kitchen turned on. I ducked down and looked back toward Zane but he was gone.

I sighed and then climbed back into my window quietly.

How did he even know where I lived?