Chapter Four

Chapter Four

After a long week of school, it was finally Saturday. I somehow managed to get through the week without any altercations with Zane, better known as Mr. Asshole, by avoiding his gaze and sticking to not even bothering to acknowledge his existence.

I barely had time to, to be honest. Ever since I found out that I was failing, my face was in my history book and my mind was stuck in colonial time. I kept the bad grades out of dad's reach and put my phone in my bible during study time and studied note card on Quizlet. Dad would blame sports over his precious bible and I would not let him take away my only happiness.

Today, I needed a break. I had decided I would go to my favorite hiking area and escape the world around me for a while until Mom called me home to help her with dinner. It was family Saturday where all of our family friends would come over and eat and bore me to tears.

Here, I could be myself while everywhere else I was expected to be the perfect son, student, and team mate. I hated the pressure of this life but I couldn't escape what God had set up for me. Not until graduation at least.

I pulled my shirt off as it began to rain. My sweats were tucked into my hiking boots and my headphones were placed in my ears. I began to run with Asking Alexandria pounding in my ears. This music was my favorite because I was never allowed to listen to it around Dad. He called it Satan's prayers played with the instruments of the Devil himself.

I started my long hike just as water started to fall from the sky. The cold water smacked my chest, freezing me over until I felt numb. I loved the numbness though. It made me feel alive, ironically.

I ran until I got to the big clearing, right before the slope started to go up. I stopped and closed my eyes. I tilted my face up and spread my arms out wide, letting the water fall down my body. It was like being cleansed of all worries and fears. I hated being the way I was. I asked too many questions, went against too many rules I knew were set for a reason, and thought too many things that could get me set up in the nuthouse but no one ever noticed. They held me too highly to ever want to notice.

The rain began to pour down harder. Thunder cracked so loudly that I heard it through my head phones. A smile spread across my face as a flash of light streaked across the blackness. My eyes were still closed as I stood there. The thought of being hit by lightning fluttered through my brain but it didn't seem to matter. I never wanted it to stop. This feeling I only got to taste every once in awhile was riveting.

I suddenly felt eyes on me and snapped my own open to look around. The rain had become so heavy though that I could barely see through the thick shower. I started to take steps closer to the woods area when a familiar pull tugged at my chest. I was just about to enter the trees when suddenly a giant black wolf jumped out, scaring me into falling backwards onto the wet ground.

I wiped my eyes quickly as the wolf stared at me with such dark green eyes and menacing teeth. His stare was not murderous though. He didn't look like he wanted to slice me open and eat my intestines. He looked curious. Almost as if he was studying me.

My heart pounded against my chest as my body stayed frozen under the cold rain. His eyes kept me pinned as the pull I felt became stronger and stronger.

Mine.

I gasped. Confusion blossomed in my chest as the wolf lifted one giant paw and took a step toward me. That voice hadn't been mine but it was impossible for it to have been the wolf's. Wolves don't talk, especially telepathically.

Suddenly he took a step closer but feeling finally came back to my limbs and I scurried backwards, only to hear a growl shake my very bones.

Running was out of the question then.

I stopped then, knowing the end of me was near as he took another step toward me. He was going to eat me. He was big enough to. His black hair was the color of evil and his haunting eyes bore through me. I laid frozen, wondering if this was my last day and if Heaven would accept me. My eyes squeezed shut as I thought of the quick end that was advancing upon me.

When I finally opened my eyes again, the wolf's snout was in-line with my solar plexus so his eyes looked deep into my own. I was scared. No, that wasn't a good enough word to describe my gut wrenching feeling. I was terrified as he looked down upon me. His low growl vibrated through my chest as he inched closer and my fear got the best of me as my eyes squeezed shut in a last moment of prayer.

Don't.

And suddenly, a warm tongue hit my skin and a warmth unlike any other shot through my body. Never in my life had I felt pleasure like this one lick. I had kissed girls before and had my fair share of groping but nothing felt as good as that one wolf's tongue against my throat. It was a weird thought to have, not only for an animal, but for an animal that was probably tasting the meal he had cornered for himself.

When nothing happened, apart from the rain hitting me, I slowly opened my eyes, only to find the wolf staring right at me, almost welcoming me into his presence. "N-Nice, w-w-wolfie," I chattered as I made the dumb decision to raise my hand up.

The wolf licked his giant teeth before pushing forward and setting my hand on his snout. I whimpered at the quick movement but was brought out of my fears as the wolf licked at my wrist, almost as if he liked the feel of me petting him.

"I'm Jessie," I whispered. I knew I was going crazy at that moment but I couldn't seem to care. The wolf raised his snout up to the sky and howled. I went to pull away but he licked my hand again and looked at me expectantly. "Please, don't kill me," I begged silently.

The wolf looked at me with his head cocked to the side, almost as if the idea of him eating me was unbelievable. I bit my lip and slowly pet down his neck before he leaned forward and licked my lips. I trembled at the feeling but screamed when the wolf suddenly ran past me and back into the trees.

I collapsed to the ground with confusion swarming inside of my brain. I stared at the spot the wolf had disappeared to and felt my lips where tingles buzzed on them. He had liked me. It was a weird thought to have but I knew deep down inside of me that it was true. That wolf had liked me. No matter how crazy it sounded. He did.