Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

My phone ringing beside me was what woke me up after the intense lovemaking session Zane and I had. I was sore but in the best way possible and honestly all I wanted to do was sleep. I grabbed around for the offending ringer and lifted it to my ear, answering it without opening my eyes.

Teenager talent.

"I'm dead. Call later," I groaned. Dad and Mom were both blocked so their calls couldn't get through, so it was probably just Hank, seeing as I barely had anyone else who cared about me at the moment.

"Hello, Jessie," A familiar voice said into my ear. I groaned, not feeling up to it and pulled the phone away, only to catch a glimpse of 'Hank the Tank' on my phone. I tilted my head to the side and pulled the phone back to my ear.

"Uh, who is this?" I asked, wiping sleep from my tired eyes.

"Are you serious?" the man said. "I plan this really awesome bad guy call and you can't even figure out who I am? The fuck man?" I sat up and tried to get my brain to function like a normal human being.

"I'm sorry?" I decided was an appropriate answer as I looked down at Zane who was knocked out. I started to really try and think and when 'bad guy' repeated in my head I groaned. "Xavier?"

"Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!"

"What are you-"

"Shut up!" he snapped. "It's my turn to talk!" I looked down at Zane and mentally debated if this was serious enough to wake him. His psycho ex-boyfriend calls me off of my best friend who is in love with me's phone and does not sound very happy. Sarcastic? Yes. Happy? No.

"What do you want Xavier?" I asked.

"You and your dumbass questions. You and your dumb pretty face. You stole him from me," he sneered in hysterics. I touched my face and pouted.

Harsh much?

"I didn't steal him from you, Xavier. You can't control who you are mated with," I said in a strong voice. I knew little about what I was but I did know enough to make me sound a little bit intelligent.

"Yes you did, you Bible thumper!" he snapped. I actually took offense to that one but held my tongue, knowing this was a lot more than a social call. "You took the one person who ever cared about me, so I am going to return the favor."

My heart dropped. "Don't you touch him!" I shouted as it finally came together. He had Hank. He had my best friend hostage and the whole time I thought I was more important. I slapped Zane in the face as I got out of the bed and began to pace.

"You are in no position to tell me what to do, Jessie," he said mockingly. I heard rustling and bit my lip. "Hank has been in love with you for so long, haven't you Hank?"

"Jessie, don't come!" Hank yelled but was cut off by a smack. I felt myself growing weak as Zane looked up at me with worry. Hank was in trouble all because of me. If I had just avoided talking to him while I was in danger this would have never happened. How did he even know? Hank hadn't told me he loved me he had-

"The kiss! You saw him kiss me," I said and Zane looked at me with real confusion.

Yep, probably should have told him that.

"What do you mean 'saw the kiss'?" Zane asked and Xavier laughed.

"You didn't tell him? That's rich," he sneered.

"Hank kissed me. End of story. Xavier is holding him hostage and I'm scared, Zane!" I cried as tears welled up in my eyes. Zane glared at me but quickly grabbed the phone from me nonetheless and held me against him.

"Xavier, what are you doing?" he asked in exasperation. I just held onto him and prayed that this wasn't real. That Xavier was gone and Hank was safe with his mom at home. That Xavier wasn't right next door to my mom and father with a mind full of craziness and a heart full of hurt.

"I don't love you, Xavier and nothing you say will ever change that," Zane snapped into the phone. I pushed away from him and bit my nail as I watched him glare at the ceiling. "I won't." And then he hung up by throwing my phone against the wall. I jumped at the loud noise and then looked back at him.

"Zane," I said in a hushed tone.

"He kissed you and you didn't fucking tell me!?" he snapped. I scooted away from him as I saw his wolf making an appearance in his eyes.

"Zane, I didn't think anything of it," I assured him. "I only love you and that kiss was him kissing me. I didn't even know he liked me." Zane still glared at me so I stepped forward and wrapped my arms around him.

"I only see you, Zane," I said. "I'm sorry for not telling you. I was just worried about the change and Xavier so much that it didn't seem important." I nuzzled my face into his chest and hummed as his strong arms wrapped around me.

"I knew I didn't like that kid," he said softly. "I have half a mind to leave him there."

I looked up at him. "Zane!"

"I was kidding," he assured but I knew he wasn't. He held me close to him as the thought of Hank stuck with that maniac circled my brain. I had got him into this mess and now we had to get him out.

"What are we going to do, Zane?" I asked softly.

He sighed and let me go before picking up a shirt. He slid it on and then gave me a look. "We have to go save, blondie number two," he said as he threw me a black shirt. I pulled it on and then started to look for pants that weren't ripped to shreds.

"How are we supposed to save him when that maniac has a gun?" I asked.

"Well, that's simple."

"Huh?"

He grabbed my shoulders and then slid his hands up to cup my face. "You."

"What about me?" I asked, looking deep into his emerald eyes.

"He knows I'm a wolf," he began, "but he doesn't know that you are."

I gave him an evil smile. "Awesome."