Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I didn't go to church on Sunday because I felt sick. Dad hadn't been happy but Mom insisted, especially after I'd come home practically with hypothermia the day before.

My head had been so clouded with thoughts of the wolf. Maybe I had imagined the whole event. I didn't know what else to think about a huge wolf that licked all over me and didn't kill me. There was no such thing. Maybe it had been a vision from God. In the Bible, many people had visions from God. I could just be a disciple and not know it. I snorted at that thought.

The next Noah!

I walked into school the following Monday morning with a huge headache. I had been thinking about much too much lately. I had been cramming Bible verses into my throbbing brain and historical facts, just so I could do the one thing I loved and yet I felt too drained to even do it. Maybe the wolf was a vision induced by stress.

I walked to my locker slowly, not looking at any of the other football boys as I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. Hank had smiled at me with his warm brown eyes full of worry, but I brushed him off and offered him a smile back so he knew not to worry about his weird best friend who was probably cracking.

Someone banged on the locker next to me, making me jump, before I looked over and found dark green eyes watching me. "Sup, blondie?"

This was not what I needed right now. "What do you want, Zane?" I whined in frustration.

"Just checking on you," he began as he crossed his leather-clad arms over his chest. "You're not looking so hot, which is totally not you at all." I choked on my own spit before gaping at him. Did he just call me hot?

I shook it off, not needing this little bit more stress in my life. "I'm fine," I lied. Zane didn't look too convinced as I pulled out books from my locker. I knew he expected more out of me, so I sighed. "I just had a rough weekend."

"Must have been pretty bad if the preacher's son wasn't even at church," he teased and I immediately narrowed my eyes at him. He gave me a grin that twisted my stomach up as he leaned in close. "Your secret is safe with me, blondie. I won't snitch on you."

"I don't care." I retorted. I had a really bad habit of lying to Zane. I just didn't like the fact that he had so much confidence in himself. He was all power and put together while I was neither at the moment.

I went to walk past him when his hand landed on my chest. "We should skip school," he said nonchalantly.

"Excuse me?" I must have heard him wrong.

"Let's skip, Jessie. I could show you one hell of a good time," he said and I watched as he licked his lips. This guy had some serious problems.

"I am not skipping school."

"Because you're a pansy. It's okay. That's something everyone in this town knows. You're too good to skip school," he said.

I glared him down. "I am not a pansy. I just don't believe in skipping school. I actually want to get into college so-" I stopped myself before the truth flew out, but Zane smirked and took a step closer to me.

"So you can get out of this crap town?" he finished and I froze. He had gotten it. He saw through my charade. How did he do it? He laughed suddenly and I met his eyes. "You're an open book, blondie. You should work on that."

"Fuck you," I snapped.

He smirked. "You wanna?" I almost fainted at the very words that flew out of his mouth and then watched as he rolled his eyes. "You need to loosen up."

The bell rang, signalling that we were late and I groaned. "Great. We're late."

"Good observation, blondie. This your first tardy?" he asked and I felt my face heat. He didn't need to know that it was.

"Fuck off," I growled. His eyes lit up as he slammed me up against the locker and bit his lip. I dropped my books at the boldness of his actions and tried to shake off the electricity that shot through me at his touch.

"I like that," he whispered into my ear. "The fire in your eyes. It's delicious." I pushed him away and picked my books up.

"You're an asshole!" I snapped. "You act so fucking gay it's horrendous."

"Eh," he said, not even approving or disapproving what I had just accused him of. I growled in annoyance that only Zane Thomas could invoke this anger in me before standing up and glaring at him.

"Touch me again and I will kick your ass."

I started to walk away and only stopped when he laughed. "I look forward to it," he said and instead of turning around and ending him, I kept walking. I couldn't let these strong emotions control me.

My face was hot as I ground my teeth together. He was such an ass! If only I could fight, I would put him in his place but the trouble I'd get into wasn't worth it.

I opened the door to my class, apologizing to the teacher for my tardiness before sinking into my seat beside Hank.

I really hated Zane Thomas.