Chapter Ninteen

Chapter Nineteen

I woke up next to Zane with his arm thrown over my hip protectively and his legs intertwined with my own. It had been less than a day since we had ran from my house, I'd found out my best friend was in love with me, and that I was going to turn into a wolf anytime now. I was scared and felt so alone, and yet I wasn't, because Zane was by my side.

Sirens blared in the middle of the town where everyone lived and I knew they were looking for me. Lucky for Zane, I was eighteen and also that he had never put an address on any of his school papers, as well as buying the house in cash so no one could trace him.

I began to feel hot against Zane, so I pulled away as fast as I could without waking him and then made my way down the stairs. His house was a lot bigger than I had previously thought but there was barely any furniture. He had told me the only thing he had needed was a queen size bed and a few couches. His dad, Axel, was the one that made him get lamps, rugs, and couches. I thought the house was cute and I loved the backyard because, like mine, it lead to woods.

By the time I was at the bottom of the stairs, I was sweating uncontrollably. I felt so winded by fourteen stairs and it only got worse as I walked into the kitchen. My brain was throbbing against my skull and was making my teeth grind together.

I collapsed onto the cold tile floor but it burned me. I wanted to scream but only a hoarse whisper came out. "Zane!" I tried but I was barely audible.

Everything was on fire. It wasn't like the flames I felt when Zane and I made love, no, this feeling was scorching me. I screamed but no sound came out. I was doomed to die here on fire. I started to cry as the feeling of claws scratching against my chest became agonizing. Just as I was about to give up, I heard Zane walk down the stairs. He took one look at me and was by my side in seconds.

"It... hurts," I cried as he set my head in his lap.

"Shush, baby. Talking won't help," he said and felt my forehead. A wave of pain came across me and I gripped his hand. "Those powers are definitely coming in."

It suddenly made sense and I whimpered at the thought. This was going to hurt like a bitch.

I slowly released his hand and shuddered, even as my body stayed aflame. "Look at me, Jessie. You have to fight." I nodded as my arms started to burn. Tears poured out of my eyes as I picked my arm up and looked down, only to gasp when I saw a white paw.

"Yeah, uh, yeah..." Zane said as he looked down at my arm. "This is about to get real painful, real fast."

I shook my head, not being able to believe or even fathom the idea of this getting any worse. Fire spread through me like I was a forest. I screamed as I felt skin ripping away from my body and then healing, only to do it again. Zane kissed me to shut me up but quickly pulled back when I flipped myself over and clawed at the ground.

I felt like I was giving birth as cramps tightened my stomach and threatened to spill. I never once thought women had it worse than me until I felt this pain. "You have to focus. Become the wolf and it won't hurt anymore."

I cried harder as my spine popped and cracked before grabbing a fistful of his hair. "If I get out of this alive, I will kill you." I screamed as another wave of pain racked my body.

I shook my head over and over as pain threatened to make me pass out. I started to think about what this pain was for and who it was for. I thought about the beautiful man beside me smiling in his leather jacket and then thought about the dark wolf that haunted my dreams. I smiled through the pain and projected the wolf that I knew was deep inside of me.

I dug my nails into the ground and screamed one last time as all my bones cracked from my toes and all the way up my spine and to my head, where it felt like someone had taken a hammer to my temple. I huffed and whined as my eyes slowly opened.

I found Zane underneath me with awe filled eyes. "Holy shit," he whispered and I watched as his hand reached up and touched my arm. I saw white fur covering me and jumped back to look at a mirror that hung in the living room.

I huffed as I saw a pure white wolf with big blue eyes staring back at me. I felt happiness rush through me and looked towards my mate, only to see a bigger black wolf already sitting on the ground, waiting for me to notice.

How does it feel?

I took a few steps and everything came so natural. I walked toward Zane and rubbed my head against his, seeing how we contrasted in the mirror. Amazing, I finally answered.

Wanna go for a run?

I perked my ears up and then squinted my eyes as he ran ahead in front of me. I felt my wolf's heart beat twice as fast and then ran out the door with him.

Never had I been so free.