Chapter 5-The Dark Lord's Suspicions

Voldemort was fuming. He looked like he could kill someone. So he did, and some poor nameless Death Eater was being removed from the drawing room of the Malfoy Manor. He must've thought his plan was flawless, that his followers were capable of handling fourteen wizards on the "wrong" side.

No one said a word. Draco didn't know what to think. It turned out that the crack from Bellatrix's wand was accompanied by a crack from Draco's broom, which had sent him tumbling. He had woken up in his room to find Snape waiting to explain that he had to speed after the falling Draco, after which he levitated Draco onto the back of his broom.

It was Monday morning and no one had left the Manor all night. After Potter and Hagrid disappeared through some barrier, Voldemort had apparently instructed someone to ensure that everyone went back to the Manor to wait for their master. Draco was pretty certain that no one except him slept a wink, and he himself only slept to recover from the pressure of falling. And perhaps Rodolphous, who was still reeling from his Draco-inflicted injury.

"I know it must be hard," Voldemort suddenly began, "having to hide traitorous thoughts from me. You must be rather skilled, whoever you are. Just remember: I am the Dark Lord. I will not fail to uncover your identity. And when I do, you shall meet a rather unfortunate end."

No response.

Draco was in turn suspicious of Voldemort. Why was Draco's presence necessary when the real Harry was found? In fact, it seemed that Voldemort was taking Draco everywhere with him, as if preparing him for something. Draco knew he wasn't to replace Voldemort when he realized his master had told him some time ago that he would need to be ready for when Snape's time came.

Voldemort was getting rid of Snape. That was the only explanation. But why? Did he doubt Snape when he told Draco he was being prepared to replace Snape? If Snape suspected Voldemort of suspicion, he must have told Dumbledore, who would then set up his own death at Snape's hand, knowing Draco couldn't kill him.

But why did it have to come to his death? Was there no other way to prove Snape's loyalty? There had to have been some other reason for arranging Dumbledore's fall. Draco still felt a little frustrated about his former headmaster's death. The old man, however senile others may have thought of him, always saw the good in everyone, perhaps even in Tom Riddle. Without Dumbledore, Draco might have truly stayed on the dark side to keep his head attached to his shoulders. Dumbledore gave him his best chance-he knew Draco wanted to see Voldemort taken down so he gave a Slytherin the opportunity to do everything in his power to help the side of the light.

But Draco was worried his death was in vain because Voldemort still seemed to be planning Snape's "departure" from the group. Maybe Voldemort had already visited Dumbledore's grave, as he had said he would. He would have realized that the Elder Wand was not buried with him, because it was currently hiding in Draco's wand holder. And although Draco was the wand's master because he had disarmed the previous owner, all Voldemort knew was that Snape had killed the previous owner. Which to the Dark Lord meant he would have to kill Snape.

Draco could absolutely NOT let that happen. Snape had done so much for him, more than he had ever asked. He was the only Death Eater Draco could trust, and his life meant a great deal. He had taught Draco some of the most important skills in wizardry there were, including Occlumency, which prohibited Voldemort from being able to see all his thoughts at the moment.

The silence went on for what felt like ages before Voldemort finally commanded everyone to go home and await further instructions. Draco rose to leave but was called back. The other Death Eaters vaporized out of the Malfoy Manor. He caught Snape frowning as he left Draco and Voldemort alone in the drawing room.

"I noticed you were particularly drawn to one of the Potters last night. Or at the very least, he somehow distracted you as you nearly hit their thestral."

Bloody hell.

"In fact, you also managed to harm a fellow Death Eater in your attempt to harm the Potter."

"Yes, I recall. Seeing multiple Potters was rather disorienting. I must have missed because everyone was moving around quickly. I apologize. I hope you can forgive the mistakes of a recently turned full wizard who has never been in a real battle before."

Draco could tell that Voldemort knew Draco was making excuses.

"You know what is also strange? Rodolphous's injury...inflicted by you while he was facing the Auror Tonks." The Dark Lord's eyes seemed to narrow. He turned his back to Draco and paced in the other direction.

"Yes, I apologize that I could not resist an opportunity to harm the brother of the man who was previously insulting me. That Tonks witch owes me her life, and it is a debt I will collect," Draco finished, acting as if he were bloodthirsty. Judging Voldemort's slightly relaxed posture (very slightly) he knew he had answered correctly.

"It was a night of surprising spectacles," the cold voice remarked. Voldemort suddenly spun to face Draco, who kept his eyes on the table. "I happen to recall that when I was trying to kill Potter, you finally caught up and tried to take down the sidecar, which was nearly falling. But it miraculously stayed intact, and Potter managed to stay in it as he used his wand to defend himself rather than hold the motorbike together. Isn't that rather strange?"

"My Lord, you have every right to suspect me as a traitor," Draco started, walking a dangerously thin line. "I understand I am the first guess in everyone's mind due to my parents' betrayal. But I am not so foolish as to underestimate your power or to support those with dirty blood. The last thing I need is to lose the Manor, the Malfoy name, and my wealth to scum. I am not suggesting Potter is skilled but it is entirely possible that he was using wandless magic to hold up the sidecar. Or perhaps there was someone behind me."

"There was," Voldemort affirmed without elaboration. Draco frowned. Whoever that person was could have been responsible for the death of Draco's broom.

"Who was it? I think he may have tried to kill me." That was probably the first thing Draco had said that wasn't meant to cover anything up.

"Another Potter. Not to worry, you shall get your opportunity for revenge. It is good that you understand my mistrust. It would be wise for you to similarly reserve your trust to yourself and to me. I believe you will be a great asset in the outcome of this war." Remaining expressionless, he concluded, "I hope, for your sake, that your speak truthfully."

"Of course, my Lord. You have my full confidence and loyalty, as you shall for the rest of my days."

Perhaps, since he was so good at it, Draco would become an actor in the Magicians of London Theater Troupe, originally founded by a Muggle, as if that weren't evident by the use of "magicians" in the title.

He wasn't naive, though, and knew that regardless of what he said, he would still be suspect number one until someone severely messed up. Thinking like the Slytherin he was, he could only hope that someone would indeed mess up.

A/N: I encourage you all to share this book with your friends, comment, vote, and keep on reading! Thank you all so much!