Chapter 33-Shell Cottage

Hermione tumbled out of the air and hit the sand hard. She gritted her teeth as the particles entered her bloodstream. Brushing off the sand, she forced herself to stand up and look around. Ahead, standing by the water, was Dobby. And in the center of his tiny body was Bellatrix's knife, embedded in his chest.

"Dobby!" she shrieked, rushing forward. She looked around to see Griphook simply staring at the house-elf, and Ron was hobbling in her direction. Harry was passed out on the beach.

"Ron, give me your wand!"

"Hermione, your handbag!" Ron reminded her. "You left it at Malfoy Manor. And even if we did still have the dittany..."

"We've got to do something!" Hermione grabbed Ron's wand, but had no idea what to do. The house-elf's only hope was St. Mungo's, but he wouldn't survive another apparition. "Dobby...I'm so sorry."

Dobby gave her a small smile. "Dobby was happy to help Harry Potter and his friends escape." He stumbled forward and fell into Hermione's arms.

Tears began running down Hermione's cheek and Ron looked away, hiding his own. Neither had interacted much with Dobby, but he meant so much to Harry. And Hermione knew Draco would be devastated as well and blame himself.

Harry came to with a jolt. He looked around to find his friends looking really distraught. "Guys, you okay? What's going on?" He rose and approached his two friends. Ron stepped aside to reveal Dobby.

"No..." Harry trailed off. "No, no, no, Dobby, you'll be fine. Hermione! The dittany, where is it? The wand, give me that wand. Hermione?"

But she could only shake her head.

Harry took Dobby from her arms and pulled out the knife. "Hold on, Dobby, just hold on. Come on. Ron, go get Bill and Fleur, please!"

Ron turned back to face Harry. "I'm sorry, mate."

"Such a beautiful place," began Dobby, "to be with friends."

"Dobby, no, come on!" begged Harry.

"Dobby is happy to be with his friend, Harry Potter. For him, Dobby is forever thankful, and for Master Malfoy, for his friendship, too. Perhaps Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy will become...friends..."

Dobby's eyes glossed over, his heart coming to a stop.

"Harry."

Shaking with grief, Harry looked up at Hermione sitting across from him.

"We should close his eyes," she told him. Harry nodded and did just that.

Looking back at his friends, he declared, "I want to bury him. Properly, without magic."

Hermione nodded and stood up, Harry following suit. Together, the Golden Trio and Griphook climbed up the hill to Bill and Fleur's home. Ron knocked once before the door swung open.

"Brother!" Bill exclaimed, pulling Ron in for a hug. "You had me worried there, mate." Breaking free from Ron, he acknowledged the other two wizards. "Hermione, Harry,  glad to see...oh Merlin."

Bill noticed Dobby in Harry's arms and quickly scooped him into his own arms, carrying him inside. "Fleur," he called.

Fleur hurried out of one of the rooms, setting down the two pillows she was carrying. "Mon Dieu! What has happened?" She summoned a large white sheet, unfolding it and placing it on the couch. Bill moved forward and set Dobby down on the sheet.

Just then, Fawkes surged into the room carrying Draco. The phoenix instantly burst into flames, and Draco dropped to the ground, passing out on a pool of blood.