Chapter 27-Delumination

Snape was definitely going to kill him, Draco realized as he vaporized in front of the house where the real sword of Godric Gryffindor was hidden. But it was time. Just a few moments ago he'd received the signal from Ron Weasley and had quickly written him back to be ready by mid-afternoon.

Since he wasn't carefully following a patronus doe this time, he actually had the chance to look around the house. How on earth had Snape managed to get access to it in the first place? He walked around and noticed a few extremely dusty books, as if they were several decades old.

On the floor, Draco noticed some picture frames. He bent down and picked one up. It was a young girl, about ten, with dark brown hair and an arrogant smirk on her face. The same girl appeared in a couple of the other pictures with who Draco assumed were her parents, but it seemed that a person was cut out of the family picture. Finally, after some rummaging through the mess, he found a family picture that had fallen behind an armchair, and this time the fourth person was not cut out. It was a redheaded girl who looked younger than her sister, Draco presumed. But something caught his attention.

Her eyes. He'd recognize those eyes anywhere.

This must have been the childhood home of Lily Potter.

Did Snape know her as a child? Were they perhaps friends? Maybe they attended Hogwarts together. Was her death the reason for Snape's turn to Dumbledore? Or had they been long separated by opposing houses and goals? Even now it was hard for a Slytherin and a Gryffindor to be friends so it must have been worse back then.

But for Snape to use Lily Potter's childhood home as a secret storage area for one of the most power relics in the world, there had to have been some connection even later.

Draco shook the thoughts out of his head as he put the photo back down. Now wasn't the time. He'd promised to meet Weasley soon.

He rushed to the floorboard where he'd hidden the sword after Snape replicated it and undid the protective enchantments. He had been careful to hide Merlin's wand in the wand protector Hermione had gifted him two years ago so that it wouldn't react to the sword's magic, using Yaxley's wand instead. He reached in with his hand and grabbed the sword by the hilt, pulling it out. Quickly, he redid the charms and vaporized back into his room.

Where Snape was waiting for him.

Draco jumped in surprise and dropped the sword, yet completely relieved that it was Snape of all people.

"I had been hoping to delegate a task to you," Snape drawled, "but it seems you have already gone through with it."

Draco frowned. "Gone through with it?"

"I need you to help me locate Potter. It is time for him to have the sword."

"That was exactly my intention.." How was it that he and Snape were on the same page by accident?

Snape's expression matched Draco. "And how is it you came by this idea?"

Draco sighed. "The Snatchers got Ron Weasley some time ago and I helped him escape. He told me he needs the sword and today I've got word from him that he's healed, which is another story."

"Very peculiar that our interests have aligned on the same day, but I shall not question it. I presume you know how to find Potter?"

He had no idea. "Of course, sir."

Once Snape left, Draco ensured he had everything he needed and vaporized to Shell Cottage. He appeared on a beach, waves crashing at his feet. He looked around and saw a modest home overlooking the sea. Drying his feet and robe, he made his way to the door and knocked.