Chapter 8-Fall of the Ministry

The sun was still in the sky, the birds still nesting in the trees, chirping away as if there was no doom to behold. Draco took one last glance around his house before heading back inside.

"Are we ready?" he asked the group that had assembled in the foyer, the select group that would be taking down the Ministry with help from a lack of resistance among those who had been recruited or "convinced."

"Who put this punk in charge?" growled Rabastan, barely finishing his question as Draco placed the strangling curse on him.

"I might be the youngest here, but let's not forget whose home you are standing in." With that, Draco released the man who had climbed high on his "Draco Malfoy Will Provide A Most Satisfying Death For You" list. Well, the death would be provided for Rabastan and the others. It would be satisfying for Draco. This was written in fine print at the bottom of the list in case anyone got confused. Perhaps he would begin to call it the "Draco Malfoy Will Provide You With A Death That Will Be Most Satisfying For Him" list, but it was rather long. As long as Rabastan was on it though, Draco was fine.

"We will be on our way as soon as—" Draco paused when the devil he was about to mention arrived. "My Lord," Draco said, nodding his head, "we are all assembled here."

"Excellent," Voldemort spoke. "Then let this day be known hereafter as the day the quest for purity began!"

The Death Eaters erupted in cheers but were quickly silenced with a wave from their master.

"And now, to the Ministry."

Voldemort vaporized away first, and everyone else followed immediately, save for Draco, who ensured no one would be left behind. He then left and appeared in the office of Pius Thicknesse. It was rather small and barely held all its occupants, but upon Voldemort's instruction, Thicknesse led them out of the office and towards the office of the Minister.

Voldemort and Thicknesse walked side by side, Draco directly behind them. They passed several Ministry employees with mixed reactions. Draco could tell who was on their side out of choice, out of fear, and under the curse, as well as who needed to be "taken care of." Not a single witch or wizard tried to stop them. Some obviously didn't want to, and others were too afraid to single-handedly take on a group of powerful Death Eaters and Voldemort himself, especially since they didn't know if their own colleagues could be trusted to join in.

The journey to the Minister's office was rather brisk, and in turn, very brief. The Death Eaters dispersed at various points to question officials linked to the Order and establish their authority. Upon reaching the final destination, Draco and Thicknesse were the only ones left with the Dark Lord. Voldemort held out his arm to halt them before pointing his wand at the door and blasting it open.

From behind the Dark Lord, Draco could see Rufus Scrimgeour rise instantly, as if he had just sat on a spring.

"You are not welcome here," he declared, as if that would help. His eyes then met Thicknesse's.

"Pius?" he was shocked, of course. But before he could further express his disbelief, Voldemort demanded:

"Where is Harry Potter?"

"I don't know," Scrimgeour replied.

"Crucio!"

The Minister dropped to the floor in pain.

"Allow me to repeat myself. Where is Harry Potter?"

"I...don't.....know!" he managed to choke out.

"Lies!" Voldemort stopped the torture for a moment. "You see, Thicknesse here has let me in on a little secret—Dumbledore's will. And if I am not mistaken, you recently visited Harry Potter and his friends to carry out the late headmaster's wishes. So I will repeat one more time. Where. Is. Harry. Potter."