Chapter 37-Breaking the Shield

"Well, someone grab him!" said Daphne Greengrass. "He's right there!"

"Alright, hold it!" Draco called, stepping out next to Potter. The whole room went up in gasps again, including McGonagall.

"Yes, I'm a Death Eater, big deal, thanks." Lowering his voice, he said, "You and Weasel need to go get the basilisk fang now. I'll take it from here."

"Students out of bed!"

Draco turned to see Filch running down the hall with Mrs. Norris.

"Students in the corridor!"

"They are supposed to be out of bed, you blithering idiot!" McGonagall informed him.

"Oh..." Filch trailed off. "Sorry ma'am."

"It seems your arrival is rather opportune. I would have you escort Daphne Greengrass and the rest of Slytherin house out of the hall to the dungeons."

"Wait!" Milicent Bulstrode called out, to Draco's surprise. She stepped forward shyly. "If you don't mind, Professor, I'd like to stay and help fight."

"Me too," said Bradbury Stevens, now a third year. "My mum's a Quidditch player, not a Death Eater. And my dad's a healer. So I'm helping out."

Draco was proud of the boy for stepping up, even though he was so young. Slowly, several more Slytherins began to declare their intent to fight until there were only a handful left.

"Very well," McGonagall agreed. "Mr. Filch, please take students from any of the houses who wish not to fight, as well as the first and second year students, and escort them to their common rooms, where they will be safe."

Filch nodded and led the students out of the hall.

Draco turned back to Potter and Weasley. "You two go down to the chamber and destroy that cup." The two Gryffindors rushed off to just that.

Professor Flitwick said to Hermione, "Miss Granger, would you please accompany me outside to help set up protection charms?"

"Certainly, Professor. Shall I bring help?"

"Yes," Flitwick said, turning to the other students. "Anyone who finds him or herself particularly adept at protection charms will follow me outside to the courtyard now."

Hermione and a handful of other students fell behind the Charms professor as they made their way out of the great hall. Soon after, Professor McGonagall led Slughorn and Molly Weasley out to the front of the school, Longbottom and Finnigan on their tails. Draco scanned the room and found that the Carrows were out of sight. McGonagall had knocked them down during the fight with Snape, but now they were gone. Each Order member led a group of students out of the hall, no doubt to guard the difference areas of the castle.

"Theo," Draco called. "I need you to go secure the Slytherin common room. No one gets in or out. I don't know if the password can be overridden, but I'm sure the wall can be blasted."

"You got it, mate," Theo replied, leaving the hall.

"Luna, can you do the same for your common room?"

The Ravenclaw nodded and took off.

"Blaise, you'll have to take care of Hufflepuff's common room since they all just went off to help Flitwick."

"Yeah, that's fine."

"As for Gryffindor—"

"I'll do Gryffindor," Dean Thomas interjected. Draco could sense the boy still didn't really like him, but at least he was cooperating.

"Great, then that's settled. Pansy, Adrian, come with me. We'll go help guard the entrance."

The three Slytherins left the Great Hall and exited the castle. Outside, there were giant statues gathering on the bridge, a proud McGonagall watching over them. Draco began casting all the protection spells he knew, his friends following suit.