Chapter 26-Repeat Technique

The room was silent. Voldemort had just told them all that Potter escaped from his grip by just a few seconds. Clearly he was growing impatient.  As Draco glanced around the room full of Death Eaters, he was unsure what to think. He was a little distressed that Hermione had risked her and Potter's lives by agreeing to Godric's Hollow, but he was extremely relieved that they'd gotten away. In addition, he wasn't sure how much blame the Dark Lord would place on Draco for failing to catch Potter. And on top of that, Draco hadn't yet figured out how to locate Grindelwald so as far as he was concerned, he was pretty high on Voldemort's list of people to take his anger out on.

Snape's voice snapped Draco back to reality. The professor said, "At least we have learned that Potter is vulnerable to visiting places of importance to him. Perhaps we simply need another location he may soon visit."

"Who do we know to be his allies?" Voldemort prompted.

"The Weasleys?" Rabastan suggested. "We could go after the Burrow again." He and some of his friends cackled idiotically.

"Potter wouldn't dare go there," Draco couldn't help blurt out. He had hoped to remain silent throughout the discussion so as not to draw any attention to him and his failed plan. But for some reason, Draco couldn't let the Weasleys bear another attack, especially after somewhat reconciling with Ron Wealsey weeks ago.

"Malfoy Junior's got something to say!" Rabastan mocked. "I'm sorry, but wasn't it your plan that failed?"

"That will be enough, Rabastan," Snape ordered. "As a matter of fact, Draco's plan was to anticipate Potter's visit to Godric's Hollow and he was correct in that assumption. What we didn't anticipate was the involvement of Hermione Granger. We believed she'd gone into hiding with her parents."

Please don't bring Hermione into this, Draco thought.

"At any rate," Draco began, drawing attention away from Hermione, "I don't see any of you coming up with ways to locate Potter. Not to mention even he can't locate his own allies. Everyone has fled or gone into hiding. He doesn't have much left."

Just then, a brown owl flew in with the Daily Prophet. Draco placed the correct change into a pouch tied to its leg before it flew away.

"Yet there are still those that persevere," Voldemort commented. "The Prophet may be ours, but the Quibbler is another story."

Where was he going with this?

"Because of Wormtail's incompetence, Xenophilius Lovegood never learned which side it would be wiser to support. This time, Luna Lovegood does not escape. You all must leave for his home right now. I have business to attend to."

"But my Lord," Macnair called, "it's Christmas!"

"Oh, it will be," Voldemort creepily assured him as he vaporized away to whatever business he had.

Everyone just looked around, not making any efforts to get up.

"Well?" Draco prompted, knowing he needed to take charge so he could ensure Luna's safety. "You heard the master. Get moving!"

Reluctantly, the Death Eaters departed Malfoy Manor and made for the Lovegoods' home. Landing in front of the door, Draco signaled to the others. "You all surround the house. You three search the house except for the first floor, where I'll go negotiate with the father. The rest of you branch out and search the vicinity."

Draco could only hope that he found her first. He knew she was an outdoors person, but she could be anywhere with her new apparating skills that Draco had missed out on during his 6th year. Would Xenophilius trust him? Would he trust that Draco could manage yet another miraculous escape?