Chapter 19-Gregorovitch

Draco was waiting for Voldemort to say something as they sat in the drawing room, accompanied by Snape and Wormtail. Why it was necessary to pull the headmaster out of school, he wasn't sure. However, he did know what his master's next words would be.

"How did you come to learn this?"

"My Lord, since you were so busy with more important matters, I took it upon myself to continue tracking down Gregorovitch. I wondered who could possibly know his whereabouts when I remembered that he was the chosen wandmaker of Durmstrang. So I owled Viktor Krum that I was looking for a better wand than what Ollivander had provided me with."

"And he gave you this location?"

Draco nodded. "He said the wandmaker was a close family friend that his family was helping to hide."

"Hide? Is he not aware of your status as a Death Eater? Or does he secretly support us?"

"Oh, I should probably mention that I didn't owl him as Draco Malfoy. I owled him as Theodore Nott Jr, who is with the Order and no doubt best of friends with Potter's crew, which includes Herimone Granger, a former love interest of Krum."

"So," Snape drawled, "Krum is helping in the best interest of a squib-born. And what, may I ask, is my part in all this?"

"Draco and I will go after the wandmaker while you accompany Wormtail and ensure he goes nowhere and does nothing."

The former Potions master's face was expressionless, but it was still evident that he wished Wormtail would wander away and fall into some situation where death was guaranteed.

"Of course, my Lord." With a crack, Snape grabbed Wormtail and apparated away.

Voldemort didn't even bother looking at Draco as he spoke, "I trust you will find your way to that address immediately." Then he materialized into the air.

Draco could only hope that Krum had prepared as Draco had instructed. When Stanley told Draco the only way to find Gregorovitch would be through the Krum family, the only people the wandmaker said he trusted other than the Lysons before leaving them in his former home, Draco knew he had to contact Viktor.

Mister Viktor Krum, he had written.

You may remember me from Hogwarts during the Triwizard Tournament three years ago. We had a mutual friend in Hermione Granger. As I am sure you are aware, she is in danger at the moment. For what I am to tell you, I require complete discretion.

In order to keep Hermione safe, I must distract the Dark Lord with a prize such as Gregorovitch, for He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named seeks answers about a wand. I have come to learn that only your family can help us find the wandmaker. I write to you to choose who to protect: the brightest witch of her age, only a seventh year, or an old man whose days are numbered anyway.

You have until Sunday to ensure none of your family members will interfere with Gregorovitch's capture so that they may remain safe. This means if you are currently in the same building, you must leave him or he must leave you. If he signals for help, none can come.

I know it is difficult to trust a stranger, but know that the wandmaker's capture can in no way harm Hermione, even in the long run.

Turn over this parchment and write the address, giving me your word that you will comply with these instructions, and send it back with the same bird.

Thank you,

Draco Malfoy

Of course, one mention of Hermione and the thick-headed Quidditch star had no reason not to trust Draco. This and Duchess's exceptional ability to deliver mail without getting caught were the only reasons Draco even included his real name in the first place. He initially hope it would incite some fear, but Krum seemed to remember his blond hair from the time they were in the library and Krum asked her to the Yule Ball.

Draco had transferred Krum's quick and non-revealing response onto a new sheet of parchment and given it to Voldemort.

Just a second after Voldemort, Draco took a deep breath and vaporized to Bulgaria.

It only took him a couple of seconds, but it must have taken Duchess several hours to get there. She would need to rest for quite some time so he hoped he wouldn't need her anytime soon.

He landed behind the ruthless creature and took in the small shack in the middle of an entire row of shacks. Voldemort didn't even acknowledge him and simply began moving toward the shack.

From what Draco could tell, it was completely deserted, as were the others on the street. Seemingly. With a simple wave of his hand, Voldemort blasted the door open and entered. Inside, it was dark but with a quick flash, light erupted and Gregorovitch was exposed.

"Please—"

The Dark Lord quickly sent the wandmaker into a full body bind and shot him up into the air, probably with Levicorpus.

"You must have some reason to hide from me," he spoke mockingly. "Perhaps you have discovered I am searching for the Elder Wand. And if not, you know now. Tell me. Quickly, now. Where can I find what I seek?"

With another wave of Voldemort's hand, Gregorovitch found he was able to move once more, but he was still suspended in the air.

"I do not know. It was taken from me years ago, decades ago, I believe."

For a moment, it seemed that everything went still but Draco could somehow see that his master had delved into the wandmaker's memories to verify if this was true. As expected, a young Grindelwald snatched the wand from the younger Gregorovitch's shop and ran away after stunning the man, thus successfully becoming the master. However, Draco wasn't sure whether Voldemort realized he would have to win the wand from its previous owner.

They both came out of the memory. Draco noted that Voldemort didn't seem to notice that Draco had been in the old man's mind with him.

"So you tell the truth," he said. "I'm sure you'll want to know that the Muggle woman in your former residence also told the truth. Too bad what happened to her and her children, a fate you will welcome in a matter of seconds."

"No! Please, I helped you—"

"Avada kedavra!"

What a selfish man, Draco thought of the wandmaker. He must have known Voldemort would find William and Jane and their mother, but at least he would be safe. Or so he thought. He risked three lives much younger than himself to stay alive just a bit longer.

"You see, Draco," Voldemort's voice came as they stepped outside, "how he died with no honor. Not a bit of regret in his soul. That's how my filthy Muggle father died. When I stood over his body, I could very clearly recall the selfishness in his eyes. Not one drop of recognition, not a care in the world for my mother, or for wizards at all. That's how all the Muggles are and their sympathizers as well."

Finally, he turned to face the boy. "I know you didn't kill your parents."

Draco remained expressionless and kept a strong igloo built in his mind.

The Dark Lord continued. "You don't posses the same strength I did when I  killed my father and his parents. Of course, I was a bit older and much smarter and they were Muggles whereas you haven't even finished schooling and your parents always seemed to be on your side." He paused dramatically. "I wish you hadn't lied to me to protect them. I do hope that the people you Polyjuiced were Muggles."

They were, Draco thought so Voldemort could see.

"I see they were. Nevertheless, you are not the traitor under my nose. It still remains to be seen who that is. You may not be as clever as I initially thought, but just enough to know which side is the righteous one. Your next task will be to determine who stole the Elder Wand all those years ago. And as for finding the wandmaker, it seems you were clever enough for that as well."

Five seconds later, Draco found himself alone in Malfoy Manor absolutely relieved that Voldemort didn't suspect him of anything other than having slight mental issues and being too emotional and young, apparently. Now he just needed to focus on his next task: figuring out how one would determine Grindelwald's identity if one didn't know it was him.

A/N: I encourage you all to share this book with your friends, comment, vote, and keep on reading! Thank you all so much!