Chapter 40-Harry Potter is Dead

Draco followed Potter into the Forbidden Forest, stopping when the Gryffindor came to a halt. It was difficult, knowingly walking to one's death, and Draco couldn't blame Potter for wanting to stall as much as he could.

Just as Draco had hoped, Potter took out the Resurrection Stone and called the dead back to this world. In front of them appeared two people Draco presumed were Potter's parents. The man beamed at his son.

"We're proud of you, Harry," said Mr. Potter.

Potter's mum added, "We love you so much."

Draco felt that he shouldn't be privy to such a conversation and decided to walk away to give them their privacy. However, Draco kept Potter in his sight so he could follow the boy to Voldemort and see if there was anything he could do to save The Boy Who Lived to Die one last time.

After a few minutes, Draco watched as Potter dropped the ring to the ground and continued on his way. They walked silently through the woods as dawn turned to day, and yet the sun did not emerge.

Draco wondered what Potter could have seen in Snape's memories that led him to this conclusion. Draco knew he shouldn't invade Potter's thoughts, but perhaps there was a clue in the memories that the Gryffindor had missed.

Legilimens, Draco thought, and he was inside Potter's mind.

It's the only way, Potter was consoling himself. Dumbledore himself said so. Once Voldemort kills the Horcrux in me, then he's vulnerable. I just hope Neville can get the snake.

Exiting Potter's thought, Draco realized how convenient it was for Potter to be thinking the exact information Draco needed. It was almost as if one of them had recently taken Liquid Luck, but where would Potter get that anyway? Unfortunately, Draco didn't think any amount of Liquid Luck could save Potter now. He was a Horcrux. Draco didn't know how—he supposed he'd find out if he looked into the Pensieve after the war was over. But this meant Potter had no option but death, and there was no way to save him.

Finally, they arrived at Voldemort's camp. The Dark Lord had his back turned, speaking to Draco's aunt. The Lestrange brothers were also there, among five other Death Eaters. Hagrid was tied up and held back.

Sensing Potter's presence, Voldemort turned around and smiled.

"Harry?" exclaimed Hagrid. "No! What are you doing here?"

"Quiet!" Rodolphus commanded.

Voldemort stepped forward, Nagini slithering alongside. "Harry Potter," he spoke. "The Boy Who Lived...come to die." The Death Eaters cackled. "Any last words? I'll be sure to have your half-giant friend pass them along."

Hagrid was weeping, unable to believe what he was seeing.

"I'm here, Tom," Harry said, sounding tired. "It's time."

The Dark Lord merely narrowed his eyes. Before Draco knew it, there was a flash of green, and Potter slumped to the ground of the forest.

It was done. If only Draco had the sword of Gryffindor, he could now kill Nagini and then Voldemort. But instead, he would have to pick up Potter's body and vaporize back to the school before Voldemort could even figure out what had happened. Draco slowly walked forward, careful not to make any sound. He bent down to prepare a quick flight when he noticed something.

Potter was still breathing.

"Rosier, go check," said Voldemort as the other Death Eaters continued cheering about Potter's apparent death.

Draco slowly lowered his face to Potter's ear. "Don't move," he whispered as softly as he could. "Just wait until the opportune moment."

As Rosier approached, Draco cast the Imperius Curse. The Death Eater simply bent down, hovered his hand over Potter's neck, and rose back up.