Chapter 14-False Information

Hermione was sitting on the living room floor with the Polyjuice brewing in a cauldron to her left, several books and a notebook in front of her, and a quill and some ink on her right. It had been a couple weeks since the wedding so the potion was halfway complete. Harry and Ron had been helping out Sirius and Ollivander with chores (quite reluctantly) and trying to figure out what and where the remaining Horcruxes could be. However, Hermione had devoted herself completely to studying the memory charm because she needed to find a cure. She'd changed her parents' appearances since they were somewhat recognizable—although they hadn't been in touch with their own families since the war started—but at least she could change those back. On the other hand, the cure for Obliviate had never been found, so Hermione desperately needed make one.

Suddenly, Harry barged into the room shaking the Daily Prophet in front of him.

"Hermione, come to the kitchen NOW!"

Without further explanation, he ran back out.

Rolling her eyes, Hermione rose and followed him. Harry must have called everyone together because they were all waiting in the kitchen.

"This had better be worth interrupting me, Harry," Hermione told him.

Harry set the paper on the table. "The headline. 'Malfoy Heir Justly Punishes Parents' Betrayal.' He killed his own parents!"

Hermione was at a loss for words. Frowning, she picked up the paper and began reading, "Yesterday, August 16th, Draco Malfoy reportedly found his parents, Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy, at the Hog's Head in Hogsmeade. According to the owner, the couple exchanged some words with their son, who, rather offended by their choice to leave the Dark Lord, disarmed them immediately. Just as the new Hogwarts headmaster, Severus Snape, and the Dark Lord himself arrived on the scene, the young Master Malfoy used the wands he had retrieved to serve justice. Draco Malfoy and Severus Snape have chosen not to comment on this matter."

They were all silent for just a moment.

"No way," Hermione voiced. "No way. Harry, you said it yourself last year. He couldn't even kill Dumbledore. How could he kill his own parents?"

"He must really have turned," Ron said.

"Or maybe he was Imperiused," Sirius offered.

"How did he find them anyway?" Hermione wondered aloud. "Weren't they both at—" she cut herself off.

"At what, Hermione?" Harry asked.

"At some hiding place so secret even You-Know-Who couldn't find them."

"Perhaps he did not make an effort to find them," Ollivander said.

"Yeah, too busy murdering innocent people," Ron muttered rather audibly.

Sirius turned to the two boys. "Would you two mind going to Muggle London as soon as Fawkes arrives with the food? There are some things we need for the potion soon."

Harry nodded, telling him, "We'll go put on our disguises," before leaving with Ron, undoubtedly badmouthing Draco.

Hermione turned to the two men. "There's no way. You know that. The question is, what really happened?"

"I suspect he was trying to convince his master that he's really on the dark side," Sirius said.

"Most likely, but who did he kill? The article said Snape and You-Know-Who showed up just as he was killing his 'parents' so it had to have been someone real."

"As much as I hate to admit it, Snape must have helped Draco."

Ollivander said, "Perhaps, but I think it wise not to dwell on this. Mister Malfoy seems to have a handle on his situation, at least for the time being."