CHAPTER 2

If hell was a club, the Wolf Cave would be it.

It's a huge warehouse-style building that puts shame to the other clubs around. It's modern and sleek, but also has a strange darkness running through it. I've never seen a place like this before. Spotlights splashing over the night sky. Music filling the air. A sign that glows a striking, neon red.

Lively. Inviting.

I eye the large queues spread out over two entrances, shocked at how busy it is already considering it's only early in the night. Bouncers guard the doors, and I see them check everyone's ID before letting them enter.

I wonder how Ray is going to get us inside. We brought our fake ID's with us, but if what he said is true and they're useless, then we're not getting in.

"Come off it, they're not that young," I overhear Toby say to Jared as we catch up with the group. Jared catches me staring and he glares at me. I quickly look away, but I wonder what his deal is.

He doesn't want to take us into the club by the sounds of it.

"Whatever," he grumbles with agitation. Reaching out, he grabs Tasha's hand and pulls her toward the club. Her smile is wide and excited, despite Jared manhandling her.

"You take Vicky inside," Ray says to Toby, who nods and politely offers his arm to her. As she giggles, I mentally sigh at how charming he is.

"How are you getting us inside?" I ask as we follow them toward the club.

Ray takes my hand and tucks it inside his arm. "We know a guy who works on the back door. He'll let us in."

I raise my eyebrow. Why doesn't that sound promising?

Meanwhile, I can't help but feel intimidated the closer we get to the club. I have an irrational impulse to run away even though I know it's stupid.

Instead of heading toward the main entrance of the building, Ray brings me around back to a different entrance. The queue to this door is smaller but still long.

"Why the back?" I ask with confusion.

"It leads to the basement," he explains. "It's better down there. You'll see."

On the double doors are two bouncers wearing smart, black suits. One is smaller than me, while the other reminds me of Sylvester Stallone. They guard the doors that open out, but occasionally Stallone pulls back a black curtain, allowing people to go inside.

Putting his arm around my shoulder, Ray pulls me along. My heart thumps against my chest, my mouth drying with nerves.

Jared pulls Tasha inside. Then it's Toby and Vicky's turn. Taking no notice of them, the bouncer pulls the curtain to the side once again and then they're gone.

"Stop looking so scared," Ray laughs at my expression.

"I'm not scared," I lie as the other bouncer smiles at Ray,

"Hey." He steps away from the door and comes over to us. Him and Ray do one of those man handshakes, slapping hands and pulling each other into a small hug that's not too close to be considered an actual hug.

"Hey, Lloyd," he greets him back. "You good?"

"Same old," he replies, his eyes moving to me. "New girlfriend?"

I almost throw up in my mouth as Ray laughs. "My sister, you idiot. We look the same. Let us in before I punch you."

"My bad," Lloyd chuckles and turns to the other bouncer. "Let them in."

I take a deep breath before walking past the curtain. As we plunge into darkness, I can't believe I'm now inside the club. That we got in without a problem.