CHAPTER 5

The car speeds down a dark road. I grip onto my seat-belt, very away that his hand resting on the gear stick is close my leg. His thumb thrums against the steering wheel in time to the song that's playing on the radio.

It annoys me at how calm he is when I'm anything but. My heart thumps against my chest, my head going over everything I saw. He took out a gang of guys and walked away unharmed. How is that possible?

I'm trying to understand. Understand how that man managed to get up after I was sure his neck had been broken. Did I imagine it?

I just witnessed a murder, but it wasn't a murder, because the guy is alive. I sigh and rub my head. What a mess.

"You've gone quiet?" he breaks the silence, snapping me out of the argument that's happening inside my head.

"Can you blame me?" I shoot back, intending for it to come out rude. I want to ho home, and as I look around, I realize I've let my thoughts drift for too long. I'm in a place that looks unfamiliar. My heart starts racing. "Wait. Where are you taking me?"

"My place," he replies, and my heart sinks.

"What do you mean your place?" I ask. "Take me to the train station."

"I can't do that." He shakes his head and I gape at him. "For one, it's one in the morning. No trains run past midnight, and if I'm honest, you've caused that much shit tonight, I don't think letting you walk around this town is a good idea."

What did I do?

"You can't just make me do what you want. Let me out of this car now."

"Not happening."

"Why?" I protest. "I've done nothing wrong." He snorts, making me angrier. "Whatever I've supposedly done, I don't care. It doesn't give you the right to keep me in your car against my God damn will."

"Actually." He gives me the darkest look. "I do have the right to do what I want since you broke my rules. Whether you like it or not, you're stuck with me until tomorrow."

I grit my teeth with frustration and slam my back against the seat. He's unbelievable. "Who are you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Your name," I demand. "It's the least you can give me."

"Colton." I breathe a laugh and he raises his eyebrow in question. I bite my lip. Yeah, I'm drunk alright. "What's so funny?"

I shake my head. "Absolutely nothing."

He puts his eyes back on the road. Silence engulfs us. Strangely, even though it annoys me, I'm comfortable around him. I'm not scared like maybe I should be. I mean, there was that kiss in his office, and I can't help wondering if this is more than me breaking his rules.

"You kissed me," I mutter, and wait for his reaction. As I look, I see the guilt in his eyes.

"Yeah." He changes gear. "I did."

"Why?"

He doesn't say anything for a long minute, until finally, he says. "Because I really wanted to."

My insides flair, but I ignore it and frown at him. "If you think you're getting something from me tonight, think again. I'm not that type of girl."

"And what type of girl are you exactly, Layla?" he asks, an edge in his tone. I refuse to acknowledge the joyful thrill of him saying my name, which I should further question how he knows. 

I clench my teeth together deciding he's infuriating. "Not the type you've already judged me as, Colton."

We glare at each other and he eventually moves his eyes back to the road. It seems like he doesn't know what to say back. Good.