CHAPTER 15

My nerves won't calm as we make our way over to a long bar. Absorbing my new surroundings, I stand close next to Colton. I've never seen a club as classy as this in my life, and I wonder if this is the kind of life Colton lives. Where he hangs out with his friends, granted he has any, to socialize.

The barman places a bottle of champagne and two glasses on the counter without him saying anything at all. I expect him to pull out his wallet, but he doesn't, and the barman doesn't ask for him to pay. Instead, he picks them up and walks away.

"Too posh to pay?" I ask with amusement, but at the same time curious as I follow him.

"I know the owner."

"I guess that has it's perks," I say, and he laughs.

"I guess it does."

We walk through an open doorway that leads into a seated area. Soft music plays in the background. It's semi-packed, though it's mostly filled with couples. It's different compared to the wildness I've just come from, and instead of a place he hangs out with his friends, I wonder if this is the type of place he brings Jenny.

He sits on one of the couches and taps the seat next to him. I sit down next him, trying my best to control the flutters inside my stomach. From this place. From him. He pours us drinks and hands me one of the crystal glasses. "What's the occasion?"

"You don't need an occasion to drink champagne." He hands me one. "Here."

"But I'm underage," I remind him, being sarcastic, of course. I take a sip, my throat dry.

"And I'm not trying to get you drunk." I know he isn't.

Smiling, I glance around the room, taking in how beautifully decorated the interior is. The white, marble floors that shine under the crystal chandeliers. The grey walls.

"You've never been to a place like this before, have you?" he asks, and I realize he's been watching me all along.

"Never," I reply honestly. "Do you come here often?"

"Sometimes for meetings and unwanted social gatherings." That insinuates he hates places like this but I'm not so sure.

"Colton," I say, and he frowns, like he knows what I was going to say. "I don't think I'm good enough for you. I mean, your life is so different from mine. I don't get why you want to dance this dance."

He raises his eyebrow. "Dance this dance?"

"I don't get why you're bothering with me. I understand that we have, I don't know, this connection, but that doesn't mean we have to be together just because some bullshit folklore said so."

What am I even saying?

I look away from him. The women here are exactly like Jenny and he's a part of this world. A world I know I don't fit into. My life is high school, stupid house parties and hanging around with a few friends that have turned out not to be my friends.

Our worlds clash.

I'm eighteen next month and still unsure about what I want to do in my future. I'm an average student pulling in average grades. I don't know what I want to do as a career, and college isn't a thought I've entertained. It's clear he has his head on his shoulders and I don't. There's nothing I can give him.

Then again, after learning about this whole new secret world of werewolves, it just seems crazy to even think about careers and future life things.

"Layla." I look at him, stress bubbling inside of me. "I'm not going to force it. If you don't want me then say it and I'll take you home right now." I press my lips together, the thought of it making me sad. "But if there's a part of you like there is for me that wants this, then give it a chance. Get to know me. This place, these people, these clothes. They're just things to help me fit into a world I need to be in right now."