CHAPTER 32 *Unedited*

Colton   

I watched her from my car window like some stalker, watching my mate walk into the apartment building to go to a party.

Clearly it was Toby's party seeing as it was his apartment complex. I frowned at the fact that Layla wanted to go to a party more than she wanted to go out with me.

This party had enough werewolves in it for me to be wary, and in turn it made me worry. I rubbed my forehead in frustration as she disappeared through the doors.

I couldn't leave her alone, or stop following her. I hated that she enjoyed running away from me more than actually being with me. It irritated me that she would chose to go to some party with drunken idiots, rather than letting me take her out, actually, it pissed me off more than it should.

I drummed my fingers against the steering wheel and vented to myself for a few more minutes. Since meeting her I had turned into this obsessive guy who couldn't seem to stay away, even though I knew I should for her sake and mine.

I did want to be with her, but after finding out about Jenny, Layla didn't want to give me the time of day.

I didn't blame her for leaving the other night after she found out about Jenny, but she needed to realise that I really don't give a fuck about Jenny in the way she thinks.

But how could I tell her without giving everything away?

It was hard because she knew nothing about a mating bond or anything about werewolves. Having a mate made life easier to breathe, life was much clearer, and you wanted to be everything you need to be for your mate.

A mate was designed to understand and be just like you, but how was a seventeen year old supposed to understand the shit going on in my life?

I thought maybe I should stop being selfish and let her have a life, kill who I needed to kill and then go back to her later if she would let me.

But I didn't know how long that would take, and the thought of not having Layla for years didn't sit well with my wolf, which was already growing very fond of her.

I couldn't win, how could I stay away when the thought of having a mate meant for me was in the next town and about to go upstairs to my cousin's party?

I gritted my teeth, hating that my beta was having fantasies about my mate.

I tapped into his mind to find out more information on Layla and I ended up finding out that he had some ridiculous crush on her.

My wolf growled and started pacing within me, edgy that she was in close proximity to other wolves.

I must have sat in the car for a full hour, thinking and thinking about the pros and cons of having Layla in my life.

Maybe I could just give up revenge for her? I sighed through my nose and closed my eyes, falling back into another unwanted flashback.

I stumbled my way out of the lake house, numb and stunned. Everything was quiet, too quiet. Even nature had held its breath for what had happened here tonight.

I couldn't take in anything or even breathe as I continued out into the quiet night. The protection that my mother had placed on me had lifted the moment she died and I was able to stumble out of the room. 

No words could describe how I was feeling or what my eyes were made to witness. All I knew was my hollow grief was growing into anger as I fell on my hands and knees outside, not even feeling the ground as I smacked into it.

I vomited onto the grass and yelled out afterwards, feeling pathetic and hopeless, my fingers scrunching around the grass and dirt as pain struck my chest.