CHAPTER 6

"What the hell!" I scream, pushing him away. I jump up from the couch and stumble back in disbelief, watching him wipe his mouth with the back of his hand.

There's blood. My blood.

I put my hand against my neck and wince when it stings. "You... You bit me?"

He says nothing, just continues staring at me. That's when I see it. The relief in his eyes. Why the hell is he relieved? What is wrong with him?

Without thinking, I step forward and slam my fists into his chest, wanting to inflict as much damage on him as I can for what he did. First the kiss, then taking me to his house, and now this?

"That hurt, you bastard!" I shout at the top of my lungs. "Whatever sick thing you have going on in your head, I'm not into it."

Gritting his teeth, he reaches out and grabs both my wrists, stopping me from hitting him anymore. "Please stop doing that. It's annoying."

I press my lips together, my neck throbbing. I pull my wrists from his hands and point at him. "You're not normal."

"Of course, you just had to be human," he grumbles under his breath, massaging his head with his fingers. "The most over-dramatic species on the planet."

What is he going on about?

"Why did you bite me?" I touch the grazed surface of my skin with my fingers. It's oddly numb. I don't feel horrendous pain like I should. Even when I look down at my fingers and see them coated in blood.

"I claimed you," he finally answers me, but it only confuses me more.

What the heck does he mean by claiming me? Claim what exactly?

I remember his eyes flashing gold before this happened. His tortured expression, like he was losing control. This is too weird. Nothing about tonight feels real at all. I'm obviously dreaming. Having a nightmare. But I know it's not a dream and I stare at him warily. "You're not normal, are you?"

"There was no easier way of doing that," he sighs. "I apologize."

"Apology not accepted."

Bending over, I grab my shoes from the floor. I'm leaving. I'm freaked out and scared. He steps in front of me like he did in the club, blocking me from heading for the door. "Where are you going?"

"I'm leaving, which is what I should have done the moment I saw you."

His frown deepens. "Don't start this again."

I should be screaming, and that's what's confusing me right now. That I'm not. "I don't understand. Why aren't I scared of you?"

"Do you think you should be?" he asks, closing the distance between us. Reaching down, he takes my shoes and drops them back on the floor. "I wouldn't ever hurt you and you know it. Somehow."

"I have to go," I whisper when he takes my hand and pulls me over to the couch.

"Stay. I promise I'll take you home tomorrow."

I keep reminding myself that I'm a really stupid girl as I let him pull me over to the couch. He sits down, and I hesitate, not knowing what to do. He tugs on my wrist and sits me down next him.

"What's going on?" It's like I'm stuck in a trance. A trance that's making my heart beat fast and my skin hot. A trance that makes all of this seem okay.

"I'm just as confused as you are," he admits, and for some reason, I know he's being honest. "But I'm going to have to start somewhere. I guess I made you mine. That's what's happening here."