CHAPTER 18

I stand in the state of absolute shock that Toby's mouth is on mine. My brother's best friend and Colton's cousin is kissing me. Kissing me. The awkwardness of it hangs in the air, especially when he tries to move his lips, to maybe get some reaction out of me. But I don't react. I can't. The crush I had on him before I met Colton has well and truly gone.

Putting my hands on his chest, I push him back, breaking the kiss. "Care you tell me what the hell you're doing?"

He can't quite meet my eyes as he apologetically glances at me, his cheeks turning pink.

"Shit, I'm so sorry." He looks put out. "One more thing."

I freeze when he yanks his hoodie down my shoulder, his other hand pushing my hair over my shoulder. Bending his head, he slides his tongue right across Colton's bite mark and I cry out when it burns. Straight away I bring my hand up to smack him across his face, but he catches my hand and stops me.

His face goes stern, and for a moment I think he's angry that I went to hit him, at least until he mutters, "Act natural."

What?

I'm still trying to work out what possessed him to kiss me and lick me when he knows exactly what Colton can do. But my mind shuts up when footsteps slap against the floor of the alley we're standing in. Turning my head, I see two guys walk toward us. Because we're hidden from the sun, they're cloaked in shadow and I'm intimidated. Toby stiffens beside me, but his face remains serious.

"What are you doing here, Andrew?" he asks the tallest man.

Andrew chuckles, his light hair and eyes clashing with how evil he looks. "Not a nice way to greet someone, Toby."

As Toby glares at him, my phone vibrates in my pocket. I don't reach in and grab it, too wary to move. "You shouldn't be here. You know what Colton will do—"

"Oh, relax. I'm not here to start anything. I'm only checking out the girl he's been dragging around."

All eyes come to me and my heart stops for a moment. I try and swallow down the lump in my throat, but it won't go down. Grabbing the back of Toby's t-shirt, I glance up at him, seeing his eyes suddenly flash golden. My eyes widen. Although I know he's what Colton is, it's hard to imagine Toby turning into a werewolf.

Whoever these guys are, Toby is ready to attack, and that worries me. I don't think they're human either. Reaching for my hand, Toby grabs hold of it. I let him because I'm scared. "This is Layla. She's my mate."

Andrew cocks his head back, his eyebrow rising. He then does something weird and sniffs the air, shaking his head a moment later. "You mated?" He spits the word as if Toby isn't worthy of such a thing.

"Yes, I did."

Squinting his eyes, Andrew backs away. "Tell Colton to watch his back. Everyone's watching him."

With that, the two men leave the alley quickly. I look up at Toby. "What was that about?"

Still on edge, he sighs and pulls me out onto the street. But I pull my hand from his and turn back.

"Layla," he calls behind me. "Stop. Let me explain."

Stopping, I turn to him. "You all have serious issues with answering people when they ask questions, but if you're not going to answer mine, then I'm not going to be around you."

"Calm down, would you? We're in public and it's not safe here."

I grit my teeth. "I don't give a damn. What was that?"

"You've got Colton's scent all over you, alright? I had to mask it with mine. I did the first thing I could think of. He told me to protect you and I did. Those guys are dangerous. Someone's obviously suspicious over you, otherwise Andrew wouldn't be following you."