CHAPTER 26 *Unedited*

The sound of a gunshot being fired leaves me frozen to the spot. The bullet rips through the air towards me. It's going to hit me, I already know. With death close, I'm left with nothing but my thoughts.

They say that before you die, your whole life flashes before your eyes, but for me it doesn't. Not like that. For me, the only thing on my mind is Colton. If I die right now, I will never see Colton again.

I squeeze my eyes tightly shut as I wait for the bullet to hit me. But I feel nothing. It takes me a few seconds to realise the bullet should have hit me long ago, but I feel no pain.

I open my eyes, shocked to see that I'm in Colton's arms, my back against his chest. He shielded me from the bullet that should be in my head right now. He pushes me back inside the room from where I just come from and I topple to the floor as the sound of another gunshot fires.

I scream, mostly from shock, until I hear a door slam shut. Colton is yelling, but I can't make out his words. My ears are ringing. Colton bends down in front of me and takes my face with his hands. We're alone in the room and the door is now closed.

I can see his worried eyes inspecting me, and when he sees that I'm not hurt, his face smooths with relief.

"Are you okay, are you hurt?" he asks. I shudder, tasting my salty tears in my mouth.

Overwhelmed, I sob and push my face into his chest. I've never been so scared in my life. Colton's arms immediately wrap around my body and he hugs me tight.

"It's okay, everything's going to be ok."

I don't know if that's true or not, but thankfully, I'm starting to get over my shock by being in Colton's arms.

"Were you shot?" I ask frantically, pulling my face away from Colton's chest and inspecting him. His body is shaking, his face pale.

"Yeah," he breathes out, looking uncomfortable. "My back."

The blood drains from my face. Colton took the bullet. He stiffens as I try to get out of his arms.

"Let me see," I plead and eventually he lets arms around me drop.

I crawl around to look at his back and gasp at what I see. The bullet has pierced his right shoulder, leaving a hole in his shirt and blood around the area.

"I need you to get it out for me. It's a wolfsbane bullet. I can't heal properly."

I inhale a sharp breath at what he's asking me to do. But with him being in pain, that's enough to snap me out of it.

He unbuttons his shirt for me and pulls it down. His toned shoulder is covered in blood.

My stomach cringes at the sight of it, but I finally work up the courage and plunge my finger into the wound, not wanting to think about it too much. He inhales a sharp breath, but that's the only sound he makes as I feel around for the bullet, fighting the urge to gag.

His blood is hot around my fingers as I try to feel for the bullet. Finally, I feel it, but it's lodged in there tight.

"I can't get it," I say breathlessly, not wanting to hurt him. I can't seem to grasp onto the bullet with just one finger.

"Keep trying, you're not hurting me. You can do it." I put another finger inside, having no choice but to widen the wound. He hisses out in pain, but I manage to keep going until I get a grip on the bullet and begin pulling it to the surface.

As soon as I get the bullet out, the wound closes up almost instantly. It looks like magic and is the weirdest thing I've ever seen in my life.

He lifts his shirt back up and fastened his shirt. Then, he turns and kisses me. Although it's only for a few seconds, it's full of passion. I get the feeling he's more than relieved that bullet didn't hit me. He pulls away and leaned his forehead against mine.