CHAPTER 12

I walk thirty minutes all the way to some gas station Toby gave me directions to meet him. By the time I reach the place, I'm exhausted, sore, and wish I'd instead stolen another one of Colton's cars.

I don't know how I managed to find here. It's in the middle of nowhere, randomly placed in between clusters of woodland trees. I'm cold and hungry and my knees hurt badly from falling. I take a seat on some bench next to the lifeless station, a chill shivering down my spine at how creepy and lifeless it looks.

After a few minutes of waiting, a silver BMW eventually rounds the corner and speeds over to me. I stiffen at first but relax when I see Toby sitting in the driver's seat. He looks rough, hungover from last night.

Awkwardly, I open the door and get inside. He's wearing a white t-shirt with short sleeves and my mouth goes dry when I spot a tattoo of a wolf on his skin. "Thanks for picking me up," I say as we start driving.

"What happened?" He's looking at my grazed knees, his eyebrows furrowed with concern.

I shrug, not wanting to get into it. "I fell."

Our eyes meet, and I know he can see it. The lie. His pale blue eyes are bloodshot, and I remember seeing him drink way too much last night before Jared attacked me. It is a little weird calling him to come and pick me up. We only talked once at his party.

"You look a terrible," he says, and I breathe a laugh, shaking my head. It's no wonder he's single.

"So do you."

He grins, and silence engulfs us both as he drives. I told him briefly about what happened on the phone because he asked. I left Colton out because I wasn't sure how to explain it. Not only that, they're cousins. I have to tread carefully.

Suddenly my stomach growls loudly and fire licks my face. He looks over and chuckles. "You want to stop off at McDonald's before we head back?"

I nod my head eagerly. "Yes. I'm starving."

"I heard, and so am I."

As we drive down a country lane, I look out of the window. The weather is nice today. The air is a little cool, but the sun is shining. Lanten, as far as I remember, is by the sea. It's naturally a little colder than any other town in North County. The houses are bigger here too. In town, it's heaving with clubs and night-lifers, but hidden behind it all, are sad, lonely mansions like Colton's.

As if they've been forgotten.

I don't understand why Colton lives here. Especially since he owns a lively club. Surely, he'd be more suited in a city?

It dawns on me then that I'm uncomfortable being in the car alone with Toby. I used to have a crush on him, only now it's like those feelings have evaporated. Poof.

I bite my bottom lip. Maybe this isn't such a good idea, but I guess it's too late now since he's taking me to McDonald's. I just don't want it to seem like it's a date or something. At that thought, I want to hit myself. I should have gone straight home, especially given what happened with Colton.

Thinking about him makes my heart plummet. I want to believe him when he said he hasn't touched Jenny since he met me, but a part of me is screaming not to be stupid when I'm already being incredibly stupid when it comes to him.

"Layla?" Toby says, and I blink, turning to him. He's looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Huh?"

"I asked if you're okay? You're really quiet."

I force a smile. "I'm fine, I'm just tired."

He doesn't believe me. "Want to tell me what this is really about?"