CHAPTER 21 *Unedited*

I woke up the next morning beyond too hot, my body felt damp from the stifling heat as I slowly came out of my sleep.

In a sluggish daze, I kicked the blankets that were entwined around my legs and stretched out on the soft mattress.

A few seconds later, I sat bolt upright and took in my surroundings with blurred vision. I breathed a sigh of relief when the caravan room came into view and I remembered where I was.

I moved my head to the right to see Colton no longer occupied the bed next to me.

Frowning at his absence, I glanced at the digital clock that was sitting on the bedside table to find that it was ten in the morning. I yawned hugely, wondering who in their right mind got up before ten and wondering why I was even awake.

But the curiosity of where Colton was got the better of me and I got up out of bed.

I bent and picked up Colton's baseball t-shirt that was lying in a heap on the floor and put it back on.

Quietly, I made my way over towards the door. When I opened it, I strained my ears to hear for any sound of Colton. I relaxed when I could hear him talking in the living room, it sounded like he was on the phone. 

In need of a drink, I headed down the corridor, coming into the kitchen first. When I looked up, I could see Colton sitting on the couch with his mobile to his ear.

"I won't be back until Monday. No, tell Andy to keep an eye on him. I want to know as soon as he steps foot on my territory."

I frowned at his conversation, wondering who he was talking to. As if sensing my presence, Colton looked up and smiled when our eyes met.

He looked good as always, more so wearing causal clothes, which was a white t-shirt and a pair of black jeans. It strangely made him look his age.

I swallowed nervously and waved lamely at him, feeling quite shy after last night.

His smile widened as he stood up and started making his way over towards me, still on his phone.

"Double up the security, and tell nobody where I am." He laughed down the phone a second later as he moved into the kitchen to where I was standing. "Yeah, very secretive, just do as you're told."

He hung up the phone just as I grabbed the carton of orange juice from the fridge and started filling up a glass I got out of one of the cupboards. I brought it to my lips, knocking back the cooling, bittersweet taste.

All the while Colton was still observing me, casually leaning against the counter, his eyes majestic and dark.

Once again I found myself lost in his tentative gaze once I lifted my eyes to him.

I turned and put the glass in the sink, attempting to wash it, but before I could, the heat of his body behind me stunned me into stillness. My heart began thumping against me as one his arms snaked around my waist from behind.

I bit my lip from groaning as the fingers of his free hand moved my hair from my neck and his warm lips placed a chaste kiss on the back of my neck.

"Good morning," he murmured into my ear.

"You too," I said breathlessly and turned to face him.

Colton took a step back, leaving my body cold. His expression became semi-serious.

"We should talk."

I nodded once, pushing my hair behind my ear. I knew he wanted to talk about Jenny's father.

Reluctantly, I followed him into the living room and sat next to him on the couch. But, just as we sat his mobile started to ring again. Rolling his eyes he answered.