~•Prologue•~

There was a white rose that sat in a long, skinny, blue vase on our fireplace. I would look at it for hours because it was flawless. There weren't any brown spots to be seen. No rips in the petals. It never slouched or bent. It was always perfectly straight. Just the vibrant green and the snow white.

However, in the center of the rose, it was red. Not a rose red, but a deep, thick, red. I touched it once to find the rose was warm. Like it had blood flowing through it, warmth.

"Mom, what's that flower?" To most nine year olds that sounded like a stupid question, but when your mom and dad were both supernatural Hunters, stupid questions were hardly ever stupid.

"That's a Blood Rose," She responded, smiling at it, leaning down to my level. Her blonde hair was more like my siblings' than mine. I got my dad's raven black hair.

I thought back to the rose, realizing that I had heard many terms in my household. Never had I heard Blood Rose.

"Well, what's that?" I continued.

My mom stood straight and grabbed the flower from the vase, the thorns sharp and tipped in red. "A Blood Rose is a token of respect. It's a magical flower that a Hunter only receives once." She handed me the flower, careful not to let either of us get poked by the thorns. "You get it when you go on a Hunt and you stalemate your opponent. There's always one Hunted that you stalemate with. You're neither better nor worse. So, the Hunter and the Hunted exchange blood roses that grow from the ground during bloodshed."

I honestly thought it would be something cooler than that, like it had magical powers or that it could talk back like the flowers from Alice In Wonderland. "That's it?" I asked blandly.

My mom chuckled, her laugh beautiful even though her snarls were not. "No," She smiled. "When the Hunter or Hunted dies eventually, then their opponents rose dies. It signifies a winning. These roses live until your stalemated opponent dies."

So it was a little darker and cooler than I thought it was, definitely not just a peace symbol. "And what happens to the other rose? The one from the person who lived?"

My father ran into the room and pulled me into a large bear hug. He poked and tickled my sides, causing a loud laugh to vibrate through the room. He carried me to my room and plopped me down onto my bed.

"If the Hunter dies then the rose they had is passed on to their youngest child for them to find the Hunted that gave the rose in the first place. Then they see if they can kill what their parent couldn't. I'm not sure how the Hunted do it, but I'm sure it's a similar process," My dad finished and tucked my blankets in. "Now go to sleep, tomorrow is a big day."

"What's happening tomorrow?" I asked.

"Nothing special. But everyday is a big day, never will there be a small one." He winked at me and left my room, shutting off the light, my mother walking out after him.

***

Warm hands picked me up bridal style. I opened my eyes softly and grinned into Dallas's chest. "What are you doing?" I asked. He sniffled and I widened my eyes further. "Are you crying?"

Dallas solemnly nodded and set me on my own two feet. "They're here." His voice quivered and his eyes couldn't find anything to focus on, much less my face. I couldn't tell if it was because he didn't want me to his fear, or if he was just looking for a distraction.

I cocked my head to the side. "Who's here?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer. It was them, the Hunted.

"Vampires." He grabbed a hold of my hand and started to walk me out of my bedroom, moving protectively in front of me.