~•1•~

I showed up to Columbia Falls High School for my fifth year. I had graduated last year, but I was volunteering as a Teacher's aid for one simple reason. There was a vampire attending this school and well... I wasn't going to let him roam around with all these humans. Nope. He'd be my first kill.

I remembered Dallas's words from earlier this morning after he managed to punch me in the face during practice. Don't be afraid. They sense that, feed off of it.

My solution to that, was to show up to school late and relaxed. Cool people showed up to school late, right?

I checked into the office and grabbed a guest badge.

I'll be fine. I said to myself. He was a young vampire and I was a young Hunter. I'd be fine. Hunters were naturally stronger than vampires. We're naturally gifted plus we work hard at achieving perfection. We're trained.

Vampires didn't train. They were cocky..

I'd be fine. And the more I told myself that... the less I seemed to believe it. If Hunters are so much better, then why are there more Vampires than Hunters? I scoffed to myself. If I died, I was coming back to haunt my family.

I opened up the door, looking around at the classroom. I recognized some kids, people I knew from my years at this school. I felt a sense of power coming from the room, meaning that a vampire was somewhere in here.

"Ah. My teacher's aid for the semester, Everly Dawn. Everyone say hello to Miss. Dawn," Mr. Banks announced, looking up from his role call sheet.

I didn't think I was late enough. The class just started. Leave it to me to try and be late, and still show up on time. I waved to the class, moving to go sit at an empty desk at the end of the front row as Mr. Banks continued role call.

At the end of it he looked at me and asked, "What happened to your jaw, if you don't mind me by asking."

Oh, my brother punched me in the face and then kicked me in the ribs. One of them broke but I have accelerated healing and it healed on my hour drive here. Yeah, I only live ten minutes away but it still took me an hour to get here.

"Oh, no, it's fine. My brother hit me in the face with the car door on accident this morning when we dropped him off for his first day of work. Don't worry, I slapped him back." I smiled at Mr. Banks, winking. I should've been a great liar, but I just... wasn't.

He nodded back, suspicious but slowly edging away from it. "Sounds like Dallas," He said.

I shrugged. "What can I say?" He was a dick who kicked me while I was down. That definitely sounded like him.

My brother had Mr. Banks for four years straight as his track coach. My siblings were Mr. Banks's prized possessions.

I looked around the room, reading all the posters on the wall. This was an English classroom and I liked learning about literature. Plus, it was something to focus on to keep my nerves down. I knew the vampire is somewhere in here, and it was starting to scare me.

My eyes glazed over everyone in the room. I know it's not Mr. Banks. That's for sure. He's no vampire.

And then I saw them. I saw a pair of warm honey-colored eyes staring at me, causing me to freeze up. That was him. What was Clay's son's name? I knew this. It was uh... Oh well. It didn't matter. It was all the same to me. He was at school illegally and so I was going to... finally do what I've been trained to do. Kill a vampire.