~•47•~

WARNING— unedited.

EVERLY
Three on three, the odds were not in our favor. Hunters were born stronger than vampires, and as they aged their power only grew. The Hunters were much older than any of us.

The only one who wasn't, was Ambrosius. I didn't know if I could take him down anyways. I had had a lot of training but look where that training got me every time, down on the ground.

"We're stronger than you three, you understand that?" Sergei hissed.

Cassidy smiled at him, her face innocent and sweet. "We know that that's wrong." She frowned. "We know things now that you don't know we know."

"Like?" Sergei laughed.

"Viktoriya!" Cassidy chuckled. "And Alisa!" Cassidy smiled brightly. "That notebook gave up a lot of details, Sergei. Such as immediate family that is to be harmed— sorry, protected— should the Hunter who loves them die."

"Suka!" Sergei screamed. "You leave my family out of this!" Sergei rushed at Cassidy and I was expecting Cassidy to retreat or be seriously injured, but I found instead that she could hold her ground.

They fought in blurs and when my eyes could finally follow their movements, they were circling each other. Both had bloody smirks. Sergei was part vampire, the only Hybrid Hunter with something other than human.

"So we meet again, Sergei." Cassidy laughed. "Maybe this time I'll get to kill you."

"I've been looking for you for a long time, Cassandra." Sergei's thick Russian accent made his words harsher. He raised his eyebrows, a smile under his malicious eyes. "To get revenge for the only scar I have!"

Cassidy and him launched into an attack. In fights between people closer to my age, between witches and other slow species... fights were just that. Fights.

But talented, older, merciless supernaturals such as Hunters and Hunteds... their fights were blurs and grunts. You could hardly see how each bruise got there. Time inside the fight felt normal, but in reality... they were too quick to be seen clearly by the naked eye.

"Eve... why'd you give the notebook away? We could've gotten married one day." Ambrosius snapped, taking bold steps forward.

I put my fists up, ready to fight. The back of my head hurt. Why did I leave? I made a lot of bad decisions, a lot. This one was the worst. But I couldn't be with Constance and mom, they wouldn't of allowed the freedom I needed. I had been on my own for too long, too long to start being under someone else's control again.

That feeling of not wanting to be bossed around however, prevented me from saying goodbye for maybe the last time.

No. I wasn't going to waist the second chance I had been given. I learned a lot from Colin, a lot more than I liked to admit.

"Ambrosius, I didn't give the notebook away! You really think I would do that?" I asked, just as he tried to knock my tooth out. I sidestepped back, watching his hands.

He snarled. "Vampires killed my parents, Eve. How could you betray us!?"

I gulped as Ambrosius ran towards me, trying to tackle me. He wasn't fighting with his head now, he was fighting with his heart. He was too caught up in his past to think clearly.

"And Konrad killed my dad." It was strange saying it out loud. "And my uncle Kasparov." I hadn't acknowledged their deaths to anyone except Colin.

Ambrosius froze for a second before trying to elbow me. I ducked under it. He was getting sloppy. He didn't want to kill me. He probably knew I didn't give the notebook to the vamps. He wasn't stupid.