~•35•~

It wasn't what I expected. I expected something not so sentimental or gorgeous, not something so... hand picked. But that was a good thing.

"Colin..." I whispered, turning to him. I smiled and kissed his cheek, which was starting to get a little stubble on it.

He smiled back at me. "Do you like it?" He asked.

I could tell he wasn't completely focused on being happy, I couldn't blame him. We had been through a lot together. Everything was changing. But he was trying, and to me that mattered a great deal. From someone who understood what he was going through, I knew it was hard to do even that.

"Well duh!" I slipped my hand into the bracelet, letting the silver chain glint in the dim lighting. On it, was one charm. A yin and yang done in obsidian and opal. It was simple and sweet, something not too flashy. It was perfect.

He stretched his arms up. "I know you didn't get me anything but... I had to get you something."

I cringed up. I mean sure Christmas presents wasn't on the top of my list of things to do, but I didn't even think about getting anyone anything for even the merest of a second.

"I'm sorry, Col."

"You don't have to be sorry." He chuckled. "Just make it up to me later." He kissed my jaw lightly and pulled away, licking his lips.

I rolled my eyes. "Okay hot shot." I laughed and pushed him lightly away, slouching.

He hummed lightly. "You think I'm kidding but... I'm really not."

And that was the worst yet best part. I knew he wasn't. "I'll tell you what, we can do whatever you want and that'll be your merry Christmas."

"Whatever?" He asked, a devious look on his face that made me realize that I was really going to regret my next word.

"Yes."

****

I was tired and my legs were sore. My head was pounding but I felt great. I tried to stand but failed and fell back.

"Can't believe that wore you out." Colin laughed, rolling next to me.

I widened my eyes. "I can't believe you're not tired."

He shook his head. "Nah, I used to make this hike all the time."

I looked around the woods, the snow glistening off of every pine and shining from every angle. We had hiked up a large large hill and laid out a tarp, on which we spread out a blanket.

We were in a small clearing, the sunset hidden by trees.

"I workout for a living and I'm dying." I crossed my arms underneath my head and laid down, taking deep breaths of winter.

He laid down next to me, running his hand through my hair. "I'd say the same but... I'm already dead."

I scoffed. "Then you should feel like you're living again. We all know it's painful."

"Mine was a joke, yours is just sad." He poked my nose and smiled at me. "I want you to close your eyes."

I narrowed them at him instead. "I don't know... that could lead to many different things. You could kill me or kiss me or..."

"Just close your eyes, Eve." He groaned, but laughed while he did so. "Trust me."

I held my hands up in defeat and then placed them back. "Okay okay." I closed my eyes and focused on Colin's breathing, something I needed to ask him if he even had to do. I was pretty sure he didn't... so why did he breath?