~•26•~

"Dad you can't." I begged, trying and failing to rip my arm from his grasp. "You can't take him away from me. Please." I was crying, digging my heals in the snow, and practically throwing myself to the floor.

He growled at me and opened the door to his red jeep, throwing me inside the backseat and shutting it, sure to lock the baby lock. I tried to get out the other side, but he was there, waiting for me. He slammed it shut and locked it with the child lock.

He got to the front seat and shut his own door, locking the car. "Everly I don't want to do this, but I will. I am."

I sat in the back seat, my eyes red from crying and my breaths shallow and sporadic. "Dad, don't kill him. I'll never forgive you. I'll run away, I'll never come back."

He shrugged. "Never is a long time. This is a small world." He turned around to face me in the back seat, his face wild and angry. "A Hunted, Everly. A HUNTED!? Do you even understand what you've done!? How long I have tried to protect you and... and you repay me by dating a Hunted? You're a disgrace to your species and to your family."

I did something no person has ever lived to tell about. I punched my father in the face, broke his nose, and jumped into the front seat.

He grabbed my ankle, pulling me back into the car just as I unlocked the front door. I had to get to Colin. I had too. I couldn't let him die because I made the wrong decisions.

Suddenly, my dad let go. I turned and saw Dallas pulling my dad back, his fists held in front of him.

"Go with Uncle Kas, I'll watch dad!" Dallas yelled, his voice a cautious reassurance that someone still cared about my happiness. He hadn't left yet.

I blinked and sprinted out of the car, a safe haven of brisk Canada air washed over me. "Uncle Kas!?" I yelled as he grabbed my wrist. "Stop! Just let me—"

"I'm on your side." He said sternly and let go of my wrist. "I'm a terrible Uncle, I'm a terrible father. If I do this, maybe I can have a piece or a shot at redemption."

I didn't understand if he really wanted redemption or if this was really just a façade so he could kill Colin, but I had to trust him. I didn't have another choice. It was either trust him, or run from my father. And... I wouldn't be able to run very far.

Uncle Kasparov handed me a phone. "Call Sisca, tell her to meet us at the Canada/Montana border, she'll know where I'm talking about."

I did as he was told as we got back into dad's jeep, Dallas holding my father back as well as he could. It was a losing battle. And who knew what would happen to Dallas after I left. Where was Clay?

Both would be stranded here until they could get another car, that meant dad could do whatever he wanted to Dallas. I've never seen my father this angry, not in all my years of living. I had no clue how he'd react.

And what about Clay? What is going to happen when he returns and my father realizes that Clay knew all along?

I didn't have time to think any further, Uncle Kas swung the car out of the driveway, sliding and slipping on the black ice beneath us. But Uncle Kas has lived for quite some time and knew some tricks.

We were off within seconds, and not a second too soon. Dad escaped Dallas's grip, chasing the car down.

Uncle Kas tried to drive faster, speed ahead of my dad, but we were on snow so thick we weren't even touching the ground.

Luck must have been on my side for a single moment, because dad slipped, falling into the snow. The car got traction and we sped off into the night, a flurry of flakes behind us.