~•32•~

EVERLY
Colin came in breathing heavily and nearly toppling over from whatever happened.

I ran to his side as he fell, catching him in my arms. "Colin!?" I yelled, panicking but still taking a hold of my situation.

I brought him to the bed and laid him on top, shaking him.

"Colin wake up!" I yelled, slapping him across the face. When I pulled my hand back, black goop covered over it. "Colin?" I asked, hoping he didn't go Atrax.

He sat up from the bed, and whined, leaning forward into my shoulder. "She took her Everly. And I just got her back." I was secretly relieved, I thought he went Atrax for a moment there.

I put his face between my hands and forced him to look at me. "Who, Colin?" But did I even have to ask?

He wiped goop off his face with his shirt. "My mom. She took Sophia. Everly what do I do!? What am I supposed to do?"

I held his head, running my hands through his hair. "We'll... we'll get her back." I promised. It was an empty promise. I didn't even know how to get my own sister back.

I crawled onto the bed and laid next to him, cradling him like a child. He was a sunset, falling into darkness quicker and quicker. Precious star-like diamonds shot down his face as he cried.

"How? How do we get her back, Everly?" He held no strength. He was crumbled and broken. "I finally know how you feel again. Having nobody."

I chose to ignore the last part of his sentence. "We still have each other, Colin."

He rolled over to face the wall. "Just when we think we're winning."

"We still are!" I argued, wrapping my arms around him as a big spoon. "We killed Leslie. We—"

"And in return he killed your father, took Fiona, and came back for Sophia." He shook his head, drowning in an ocean of grief. I wished I could do that, lay down and never get back up. But I had to fight still, I had to win. He got the luxury of grieving, something I didn't have.

I nodded. "Okay. You're right." I rolled over, facing the opposite direction from him.

A small part of me wanted to leave still. I still wanted to go to Sovereign Pack Territory, grab Arlis, and head to Konrad's house. We could end him together. Right now.

Colin reached behind him and grabbed my hand, holding it like it was his only connection to Earth. Like if he let go, he'd simply float away like dust.

I couldn't leave. Not now.

****

I woke up early on Christmas morning, but not for the good reasons as per usual.

I stretched my arms up and threw the covers over. I kissed Colin's cheek as I stood up, and walked to the door.

"Everly?" Colin asked, his eyes fluttering open. "Where are you going?"

I put my hand on my stomach. "I haven't ate in a couple days. I wan going to get some cereal." It wasn't like I had to eat every day, I could go weeks without needing it. But that doesn't mean I enjoyed it.

He smirked at me. "You're in a vampire coven's house, Everly. There is no food in the kitchen."

I frowned. "Great. So I'm guessing I have to walk to my house."

Colin shrugged, burying his face in his pillow. "I'll go with you."

I shook my head. "No, it's fine. I can handle myself. Plus I'm pretty sure Dallas is there." I didn't want him to get up. Right now, all his problems seemed to be away for the moment. The bliss of just waking up.