~•37•~

SONG FOR CHAPTER- Ciara's cover of Paint It, Black. Of course, Rolling Stones is the original version that you should also listen too. Both are great.

Also, here's Colin's aesthetic

It's not as.... good... as the other ones. But it's whatever, lol. I still like it.

Colin's head was in my lap, my fingers running through his soft brown hair. Zach was sitting in the front passenger seat, and Dallas was driving. We didn't know where to go, only that nowhere was safe. Not with Konrad out there.

I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the window, huffing out a breath loudly. Why was it always me? Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong in my life. I was living by Murphy's Law 100 percent.

If mom were here she'd know what to do, where to go. If dad were here...

I squeezed my eyes tighter, begging myself to stop.

Dad wasn't here. Mom wasn't here. Dad wasn't coming back and mom... mom might not come back. As soon as I accepted that, I could move on.

My stomach tightened and my breath held until it came out in an ever so quiet whimper. I was failing. Failing at protecting my family, myself. How could I move on when time made me feel like I was moving backwards?

"Eve?" Colin asked, stirring awake and grabbing my hand tightly.

I kissed his forehead. "Shh. Go back to sleep, love."

Colin shook his head and sat up, ruining our comfortable position. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head, not yet wanting to indulge my deeper thoughts. Not right now. Not with everything that has gone on. "Nothing."

He looked me up and down and then nodded. "Okay." He laid his head back down in my lap and I continued to play with his hair.

He knew something was wrong, but he knew better than to call me out on it. I wouldn't tell him even if he wanted me to. He already felt enough of my pain. Vampires felt your emotions, and I tended to forget that.

I started to drift off, all but crying myself to sleep but the car stopped.

I looked up as Dallas huffed out a breath and popped his knuckles. He pulled out his phone and googled directions to nearest gas station.

The action was so... simple. It almost made me laugh. Almost. Not quite at the laughing point in my life yet.

He scratched his head and then looked back at us. "Do we want to stop somewhere and sleep? We don't need it but... Zach does." There's the classic Dallas. He'd never admit it, but he was dying to get some sleep.

And as tired as I was, my heart was telling me to keep moving forward, don't stop. Stopping only left time for things to go wrong. Was it paranoia or truth?

My head was starting to hurt though and I felt sick. I wanted out of this car. And that feeling outweighed my well-deserved paranoia. "I guess. Where are we?"

Dallas hummed for a moment. "We're about to be in Kamloops." I supposed that was a city, but I had never heard of it. My geography skills weren't the best, although they really should of been considering how often my family traveled. "Just have to look up directions." He bit his nail, embarrassment shielding his cool persona.

Colin stirred but didn't wake, fast asleep once again. I wished I could fall asleep as fast as he did.

Wind pushed against the car, creating a small whistling noise but I ignored it. The sky ahead of us was inky black dotted with shiny stars here and there.