Thirty : Comfort & Begin Again

"Don't be afraid to give up on the good and go for the great"

-Steve Prefontaine-

***

Diego's P.O.V

She is running away, and I can see tears streaming down from her eyes. This party hasn't even begun for that long and something horrible has happened to the main character. How ironic.

This is the reason why, a year ago, I never told her about this, because I knew that she would be hurt, and I don't want to see her that way. I tried to be selfless about it, and what I could do back then was to watch her from afar, and try to avoid her, because I know, that if I'm getting too close to her, I may truly fall in love with her.

But watching her cry like this, because of the exact same man, and his little ex crush, is simply bothering me.

And I begin to ask myself, should I tell her about it back then ?

Would there be less pain ?

Overthinking doesn't solve anything now. I seriously hate that Tobias guy, he hurt her, and he will pay for it later.

Right now, between my pride and my feelings, I choose my feelings. So I chase after her.

I try to look for her, and after a while of searching in the rather dark garden, I find her sitting on the grass, yes, on the grass, even though there is a bench not so far away from her position. As if she doesn't care if her pretty dress get dirty, and all she does now is contemplating her own feeling.

She has her face covered with her arms and knees, and I can tell that she is sobbing.

Actually, I don't think I have ever seen her crying like this before, she has always been strong, even through all those nasty treatments the kids gave her, and still, she was able to overcome all of that without shedding any tears.

But now, here she is, being embarrassed on her birthday must have caused her a great feeling of shame that turns into sadness and disappointment.

I approach her and without trying to disturb her. I sit on the grass right besides her, and she realizes my presence and slowly lifts up her face. And as I thought she looks like a mess right now. Her pretty makeup is smudged and ruined thanks to her tears, and she looks at me in a rather confused expression.

"Diego ? What are you doing here ?"

I smile at her and reply,

"I'm just trying to be a gentleman once, totally not me, but I'll make an exception on this one"

She slowly speaks again in a sobbing tone,

"You should just stay in the party, I'm okay here"

I shake my head and look at the sky.

"Nah, I rather be here, it's too annoying there, besides, the birthday girl is not even in there, so what's the point ?"

She slowly tilts her head and she begins wiping her tears. And there is a brief silence between us, as we both looks up in the sky. And I try to steal glances at her once in a while, and even though her eyes are red and slightly swollen from crying, they still have some sparks in them that represents her inside,