CH/3

I got to the mill before Sam and got out. You could see the barn from the mill, but the house was blocked. Today was slightly foggy so I had some cover. I left the Alpha in the truck and he watched me carefully. In the corner of the barn was a chained up wolf, his coat was covered in blood, and fleas. “Jesus Christ!” shaking my head. He snarled at me, and backed up. “Easy boy. I’m not going to hurt you like that bastard.” Keeping my eyes low and my tone soft, the wolf whined. Something they normally don’t do, but he was beat up pretty bad. I tossed him a chewy bone and left, he attacked it without a care. Probably hadn’t eaten a thing in days, not smart for the owner. Sam showed up in his black dodge truck, he has a bright red one but he’s a smart man and knows bright colors are a dead give away.

    “I’ll get the owner.” He said
“Yea, probably safer that way.” I was grinning my teeth.
“I got a buddy that will take him, so I’ll load him into my truck.”
Sam had a cover over the bed of his truck so, he wouldn’t have to be chained or caged.
“Okay, I’ll handle getting him in.”

Sam walked away and headed for the piece of crap trailer, this man called a house. The man responsible for this is a total jack ass, and I hate him. He’s always hurting animals, mostly wolves. Once they stop winning he beats them for extra fun and then dumps them in the woods somewhere to either die alone, or to go crazy. When a wolf goes crazy its worse then rabies, they will tear down a four hundred year old oak tree if they think it’s looking at them funny. I’ve seen them kill tons of people because of one person doing them wrong.

    Keep in mind they’re no longer right in the head, I call it going berserk. It’s the only fitting word for what happens, it takes hours to get them to calm down. And even then sometimes it doesn’t work. With a few more treats in my pocket I headed back for the barn. The bone I left was gone, and he was panting in the corner again. “Alright handsome, lets get out of here.” calling to him with another treat. He was weak but managed to come to me. With a hand crafted tool I broke the lock, but the chain would have to be removed with a power tool. “Good man, he’ll pay for this, don’t you worry.” calm tones work best with male wolfs. He followed me slowly out of the barn and towards the truck.
    Sam came back and looked like he had aged some just from talking to that man. “Well?” I asked, still pissed off.

“He said take him.”
“Damn right were taking him.” growling every word.
Sam pulled his gun out from behind his back.
“Don’t need this any longer.” Smiling as he was about to put it in the truck. The wolf caught sight of it and snapped, lunging for his arm. “No” I screamed throwing my left arm into the mouth. His teeth sank in, and held tight. “Shit, Luna.” Sam went to help.
“Stay put, don’t move a muscle.” Keeping my voice low. The Alpha in the car had moved to the drivers seat and was staring intently out the window at us.

    “Easy boy, easy.” I kept repeating. Thrashing around a bit, I heard the skin rip more. This wasn’t the first time my left arm was chewed on, and I wore long sleeves for a reason. His bright yellow eyes, where at their breaking point. Slowly getting down to his level, I whined softly, and spoke just as quietly. “Easy, no ones going to hurt you anymore. Your safe now.” The teeth slowly started to pull out, he whined at me. It was an apology to some degree. “There…there no worries.” Smiling at him. “Geez Luna your arm.” Sam was still hell bent on that. “Its fine.” walking slowly to the back of Sam’s truck.

    I picked the wolf up and lay him on a large mattress Sam had bought for this kind of thing, or so I’d hoped. “Good boy, you stay here, while I take care of the bastard.” Closing the top and bottom door. My temper flared as the top door closed, Sam went to grab my arm. “No Luna.” Moving to the back of my truck bed, I grabbed a large can of gasoline. “Luna!” Sam trailed behind me. Should have mentioned I have a temper when you hurt something I love. Checking the barn one last time, I saw nothing that looked alive. I kept a small lighter in my pocket at all times, and pouring gas in every direction I lit it up.

The old barn with dried hay and piles of straw stacked for the fighting ring, caught on fire in no time at all. Walking out of the barn as it burst into flames, I caught the sight of the Alpha watching me.  Sam was freaking out. “Leave Sam, Take the wolf to your friend’s house, he need to be treated now.” The owner came out screaming at me. Sam has been my friend for a long time, he knows me better than any other person, even more than my own parents. Knowing my hatred for this man, and how long we have been saving wolves from him, Sam could tell I wasn’t walking away from this anymore. “Alright.” Getting in his truck and leaving. My rage turned to the over weight bald man screaming at me about his barn.

“You bitch, I’ll have you arrested for this.” waving his hands in the air.
“Like hell you will, you make me sick. I’m done playing your game.”
I pointed the gun at him, still holding the gas can. He screamed and headed for his house. Sadly this is where I wanted him to go. Once inside, I disappeared from the Alphas sight. Growling and scrapping at the window to get out. He managed to push the window down, but not enough that he could fit. Inside I had put the gas can down on the table and was staring at the man, and he begged.

“Please, please don’t kill me.”
“How dare you beg me for your life, when you’ve tortured how many of my wolves?” Narrowing my eyes.
“Please, I won’t do it anymore, I swear.”
“Like you swore the last five times, or when we took a whole family of kits from you. No your time is up. You’ve run out of chances.” His house smelled of beer and left over pizza. The lot of empty spirits in the corner, made me believe he was a drunk, ninety-five percent of the time. This was lucky for me, and I smiled at my fortune. Grabbing the gas can and dumping the last half all over the place. Pulling out a thin silver case, which held my cigarettes. I don’t normally smoke, but when I’m stressed out I have one.

    Slipping the gun behind my back again and lighting up, I puffed out the smoke. “You’re a real piece of work.” I said causally. His eyes grew wide with every puff I took. After about six pulls off the cigarette I turned around. “I’m so over you!” Tossing it to the floor. It took but a second to grab the gas and spread like a wildfire. The left over pizza boxes and spilled liquor didn’t help any. This house was just as screwed as the barn. I stepped out the door still holding the gas can, and made my way back to the truck. The screaming from within the house, only lasted a little while. And with the fire blocking his exit out the door, he didn’t have a chance. He was a pack rat and had collected countless treasure that were now going to be burned with him forever.

Tossing the can in the back, I would have to remind myself to fill that again. The drive home was a little odd, Alpha did nothing but stare at me. “You’re creeping me out.” Not looking at him. My cell rang, Sam.
“Hey Sam.”
“Hey, you ummm..”
“Yes, I’m fine and no issues. How’s our boy?” clearly changing the subject.
“Good, he ate a few pounds of steak and is drinking plenty of water. We gave him a booster shot and a flea bath, which he was pissed about. But Marlene gave it to him in a bikini so…yea” Sam sounded embarrassed. Marlene was his girlfriend and she was stunning as all get out. It was no wonder the wolf didn’t mind, I laughed a little.
“Yea I can see him liking that, hell I’d like that.”
“Ohh Shut up, geez you’re both a pain in the ass.”
“Love you to Sam, I’ll talk to you later.”
“Sure, be easy Luna.”

We hung up, as I pulled down my road passing Mr. John’s farm.
That night was different, Alpha clearly watched me everywhere I went. I had replaced the sofa and was messing around on the internet, when I felt like a bath. Again I closed the door before he could come in, and he protested. I got to relax in my tub for a good hour before I needed to get out. The only pajama’s I had clean was my light blue silk romper. Not something I normally wear, but it was hot and this was very light. I wrapped my arm in a vet wrap bandage and left it alone, there were a few holes and it hurt like hell, but I wasn’t going to the hospital.