-ˏˋforty five:save yourselfˊˎ-

trigger warning: violence

My index and middle finger were just at the opening of my back pocket, but still not deep enough to get the switchblade out. My wrists were already aching and burning as I pulled against the rope. The stinging pain was shooting up my entire arm, but I wouldn’t stop.

My eyes were clenched tightly the entire time that I struggled and I opened them for a moment to see if Shane was watching me. He wasn’t. He already had Gerard’s pants at his ankles and was now undoing the ropes around his ankles so that he could take the pants off all the way.

My fingers were about halfway into my pocket and I gave the rope one forceful tug, shutting my eyes as another shot of pain was sent through my arm, but I got it. My fingers brushed against the handle of the switchblade and I quickly inched it out of my pocket, keeping it tight in my hand so that it didn’t fall to the floor and make a sound.

I hit the switch that sent the blade out and tried twisting my hand to make the blade touch the rope, but I couldn’t get it high enough. I slid the switchblade higher in my grasp so that the actual blade was pressed against my palm. I took a glance at Shane.

He was taking all the rope off of Gerard and I stopped for a minute to watch what he was doing. He still had the gun in his hand as he got all the rope off.

“Keep doing as I say,” Shane warned, “or else you know what will happen.”

Shane pulled Gerard up off the chair and his legs shook beneath him for a minute as he tried to keep steady. He looked at me with eyes that made every tear I held back go running down my cheeks. He looked so weak, so hopeless, yet so guilty, as if this was his fault. I looked down, breaking my gaze away from his and hiding my tears. I had to stay strong if I was going to save him.

My eyes locked on my lap, and I squeezed the blade that was in my hand, inevitably cutting myself. There was a sharp sting followed by a throbbing ache as the blade penetrated my skin, but I ignored it and lifted my hand up to my left wrist so that the blade could reach the rope. I felt the blade come in contact with the rope and I quickly went to slicing through it, cutting deeper into my palm. For that moment, I was glad Shane had taped my mouth shut. It helped keep the whimpers trapped in my mouth.

The burning and aching pain had traveled up my entire arm as the blade sunk deeper and deeper into my skin with the pressure I kept adding. The blade finally cut through all of the rope and I lifted my head, sighing in relief as my hands were free. I pulled the switchblade by the handle, having to tug on it roughly because it had planted itself deep into my right palm. The cold air hit the open wound and I breathed in through my nose as the burning sensations continued.

I kept my hands behind my back when Shane glanced back at me to make sure I was still in place.

“Enjoying the show?” he smirked at me, before looking away and looking up at Gerard. He took Gerard by the arm, spun him around roughly and pushed him down to his knees, bending him over the base of the chair.

My heart began to beat frantically as I knew what would be coming next. Shane had his back to me now as he stood behind Gerard and began undoing his own pants. I took advantage of the fact that he was distracted and quickly reached forward to cut through the rope that was around my ankles. Wasting no time at all, I stood up, keeping as silent as possible.

Shane had just started to pull his pants down when I charged at him with all that I had.

I thought I had him. I thought the blade would go right through his back; that I would stab him, and get Gerard and Mikey out and to safety. But he turned around just before my blade came in contact with his body and managed to dodge it.