-ˏˋforty six:heaven ?ˊˎ-

(Frank's POV)

What's heaven like? I wasn't even sure I believed in a heaven or hell, but when I saw nothing but white when I tried to open my eyes, I thought this might be it. It didn't seem all that great, just seeing whiteness, and being stuck with my thoughts. Fuck me if this was heaven. I didn't need my thoughts; they were the things I tried to escape while I was still alive. Then I heard something that made this heaven so worth it.

"Frankie, baby."

That was Gerard's voice. His nasally, soft voice whispered to me.

"Sugar, I'm here."

I couldn't answer him, but I didn't care to. The sound of his voice made me smile. I didn't even know where my lips were; I just felt like a haze of thoughts floating through this white place. But if I had a mouth, it had to be smiling.

"I love you so fucking much."

Now this...this was heaven.

(Gerard's POV)

I was dying without him, and I didn't mean that in a metaphorical sense. If I couldn't see his smiling face every day, there was no point in eating. If I couldn't see his cheeks turn a bright pink when he blushed, I didn't need to drink. If I couldn't hold him, and have him hold me back; if I couldn't kiss his lips, without feeling them move back against mine; if I couldn't, then there was no point in living.

I wanted to die, but the only thing keeping me alive was the possibility of him living. I sat beside the hospital bed, holding his hand with both of mine, just staring at his lifeless face. One hand still had a bandage over it and the one I was holding carefully had an IV on it, so I had to be careful not to squeeze too tightly. There were other things hooked up to him, keeping him alive until he came to, but I wondered if they were actually doing him any good. He hadn't come back to me yet.

"Come on, let's go down to eat," Mikey urged me, nudging my back.

I shook my head.

"Gerard, you need to leave this room, I can't keep sneaking you food and forcing it down your throat."

"I don't want anything," I said simply.

"Gerard-"

"Nothing," I said firmly and he sighed in defeat.

He walked out of the room. No one but Mikey and Linda heard my voice. I'd taken to silence just like Frankie. I told myself I wouldn't talk to anyone else until he came back to me. He would be the reason I started talking again. No one else.

"I'm so sorry, baby," I whispered, laying my head down next to his hand. I held his palm against my cheek, his icy skin as lifeless as a corpse. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you. I'm so fucking sorry. I swear, if you come back to me, I'll protect you with everything that I've got."

I recited that to him every day, hoping it would reach him, wherever he was. He had to hear me and know that I was sorry. There was a possibility that wherever he was, he was too scared to come back. He didn't want to come back to this world that was full of dangers and pain. I wanted him to know that I would protect him from it all if he just came back to me.

(Back to Frank's POV)

That blissful state of whiteness accompanied with Gerard's voice began to fade after a while. I wasn't sure what was happening, but it just all began to fade.

I was now in a state of darkness and I was suddenly aware of all my limbs. I didn't feel like an actual body before, but now I could feel the weight of my body on something soft. A bed? I decided to attempt to open my eyes.