Four

November 15, 2016

During school, a sudden boom of thunder caused the whole class to jump. Mrs. Yvonne screamed, then took a deep breath. "As I was saying," Mrs. Yvonne began, her ears pink. "Tomorrow, you will begin your pre-algebra test. Class dismissed."

Then all of the children jumped from their desks and all filed out the door, me and Casey were at the end of the line as usual. We went for our lockers and typed in our combination. Casey pulled out her blue rain coat, I pulled out my yellow one and my black umbrella. Then Casey shut her locker. "I hate rain..." Casey complained.

I turned my head towards Casey. "Why?" I asked.

"Because it always ruins everything." she replied. "I was supposed to swim at the pool with my cousin today."

I patted her shoulder. "It's ok, I was supposed to go to the park with my nana," I said, smiling.

Casey giggled. "So we share the same pain I guess," said Casey.

With that, we walked towards the exit, the smell of rain flowed through my nostrils. A blanket of fog was covering about half of the school. Suddenly I saw an old man walking down the sidewalk. Well, he was limping actually. He gave me a creepy look that sent a chill down my spine. He kept looking at me until he disappeared down the curve.

"Jessica?" Casey said, looking at me with her eyes filled with concern.

I shook the daze from my eyes, and looked at Casey. "Hmm?"

"You look like you had seen a ghost," Casey told me. "Are you ok?"

I hesitated, then I finally spoke. "I'm ok, just...tired, that's all," I lied.

Casey stared at me for a few minutes, then the sudden honk of the bus caused me and her to look down the road. "C'mon, lets get on the bus," I said.

* * *

I said good-bye to Casey as she walked down St. James street, which led to her house. I turned down stone boulevard. Then something happened that I did not expect...

I was just walking down the street, then the same old man I saw at school grabbed me by my chest and pulled me into an old house, the pain has nearly withered off and the windows were dusty. I struggled to break free, but the mans grip was to strong. He threw me onto a chair and gripped my shoulders, shaking me. "You have to help me!" he yelled, his eyes full of fear.

"I-I don't have any money!" I said, my heart pounding so hard I felt like it would burst out of my chest.

The old man gave me a weird look. "What are you talking about?" he said. "You have to help me before it's to late!"

"What do you want?" I demanded.

The old man's hands were shaking so bad, and I saw a few tears rolling down his cheeks. "I am going to die! you need to help me!" he screamed.

He put his hands over his ears. "My family...they're dead. All dead!"

My hearts pace began to grow faster and faster, my eyes started to widen in fear.

"I never should have gone in there!" he screamed in terror. "Never should have gone in!"

My mind rushed. How did I not know this guys was faking and he just wanted to rape me? "I-I'll call the police!" I said, searching my pockets for my phone.

Then the old man screaming in agony and clutched his stomach. "Aah!" he wailed.

His face began to turn pale and he grew long claws on his hands. I stared in horror and started to run for the door. Then the old man wasn't an old man anymore. His eyes had black slits for pupils and he had needle-like teeth. He looked at me and shrieked, and charged. My adrenaline kicked in, I picked up a brick and threw it at the creature. Then I ran for the door and slammed it behind me, barricading it with a porch chair. I turned away and ran as fast as I could. I have never been so terrified in my life. I had no idea what the hell happened back there, and I didn't turn back to find out.