Thirteen

I hadn't gotten any sleep last night because of what happened; like my parents death and being dragged up stairs and locked into a mildew smelling room. I tried to tell Casey what Mr. and Mrs. Elise have been doing to me, but she hasn't answered, probably because her little brother Camron lost her phone again. I tried signaling the neighbors to help, but they think it's some stupid trick or act, which I thought was really stupid. I slumped onto my bed and cried some more. I was still really shaken up since my parents died, and I was infested with rage at the same time. I really hate Mr. Elise I thought. He is a sick, drunk freak.

Then I heard the door unlocking. I quickly hid my phone under my pillow and put myself into a cross legged sitting position on the floor, and grabbed a random book from the shelf next to my bed, which turned out to be Rangers Apprentice and opened it up, making me look like I was reading. The door creaked open, I squinted from the hall light because I was in a dark room for so long. I raised my hand over my forehead to shield the light from my eyes, and saw the figure standing in the doorway was Mrs. Elise, with her hands resting on her hips.

"Have you learned your lesson?" she asked, taping her foot on the floor.

It was your stupid daughters' fault, not mine were the words I wanted to say, but I knew if I spilled them from my lips, I would get beaten to a pulp. So instead I nodded my head, signaling to Mrs. Elise that I did.

"Good, now come downstairs, we have pizza for dinner." she said quickly, then turned back and went across the hall and trotted down the flight of stairs.

My stomach growled as the word pizza escaped Mrs. Elise mouth, I haven't eaten in almost two days. So I quickly got to my feet and ran downstairs. Once I reached the first story of Mr. and Mrs. Elise's home, the smell of pepperoni pizza ran through my nostrils, making my mouth water. I quickened my pace to the dinning room and saw two pizza boxes were laying on the table, open and the cheese till barely bubbling. I took a seat as far from everyone as I could and clasped my hands together and started to say grace.

"Dear god, I-"

"No sayin' grace at the table." Mr. Elise barked.

I looked up at him, with a perplexed and angered look on my face. "But, don't we have to say our prayers?" I questioned.

"Not in this household." he said back, taking a bite from his pizza.

I wanted to protest, but I had enough time sitting in that gross room I was in for almost two days. So I said nothing, and began eating.

"Jessica," Mrs. Elise said.

I looked up from my food and at Mrs. Elise. "Yeah?"

"Thank your father for this meal."

"My father? My fath- oh, right..." I remembered that my father was at the bottom of the ocean as a rotting corpse. "Thank you."

"Yeah whatever." said Mr. Elise with a mouth full of food.

I cursed under my breath and wen back to eating. But I knew that afterwards I would call the police, telling them about how abusive and cruel this family is...

* * *

After dinner, I ran upstairs to grab my phone. I slipped my hand under my pillow and grabbed my phone and typed in my passcode. I swiped my finger across the screen to fine the phone app, and then I tapped it and dialed 911.

"Hello, what is your emergency?" asked a mans voice on the phone.

I took a deep breath. I've never called the cops on anyone in my whole life. I winced and forced myself to answer. "M-my name is Jessica Brown." I began

"What is your emergency?" the police asked again.

"My parents died in a shipwreck two days ago, and I'm with my step parents and they are abusing me."

The police man was silent for a little bit, then he finally spoke. "What do they do to you?" he asked.

"They starve me and hit me. Please get here soon." I said, tears swelling in my eyes.

"We are on our way." the police said.

I set the phone down on my nightstand, and prayed to god that I would be okay. I knew that the police could come take Mr. and Mrs. Elise away, or I could be beaten so bad I could get seriously injured or killed...