Six

November 16, 2016

I stood on the porch of the house where that old man turned into a demonic creature and attacked me, cuddling with my mom while my dad and the police were inside the house, investigating. Once again the images of the old man screaming and turning into a demon flashed in my mine, his wails of terror sounded so real in my head I thought the old man was right next to me.

Then the police, along side my dad, exited the house. The police had looked like they had seen a host, and I didn't blame them.

"We found traces of blood and..." the police man winced, "old skin soaked in blood."

My mother nodded, and looked at me. "But something in there definitely petrified my daughter. Have you found anything about that?" she asked, holding back a sob.

"I'm afraid not, but like I said, we found-"

My mother slammed her purse on the ground. "Then what the fuck attacked my daughter?" she demanded, giving the police man an icy glare.

"Ma'am, I need you to calm down. And I don't appreciate people swearing and telling me how to do my job."

My mother sighed to control herself and apologized to the police man, and told him to continue. "Now, as I was saying..." the police man started. "We will take a sample of the blood and do a DNA test to find the...attacker."

He was going to make some stupid joke about what happened, like a demonic old man or a scary creature. So I just hid behind my mom so I was out of the police man's view. Then my dad walked over to me and my mom, holding some bill or form in his hand. "I imagine the police man told you about...you know..." I knew what my dad was trying not to say.

My mother nodded. "So, do we just go home? or do we have to go to the police station?" My mother asked.

My dad shrugged, and glanced towards the police man talking to another random officer. "We should probably just leave," he said. "And we can pick up pizza along the way so we don't have to cook anything."

There was a long silence after my mother agreed to my father's plan, then I got tired of the it because I was still shaken up. "So..." I began. "When do we leave?"

My mother looked like I just spoken for the first time after being silent for a decade. "Well, I guess we can leave now. Right hun?" my mother questioned, looking at my father.

"Yeah, we can leave now," he said. "Just let me go make sure the police don't need to tell me anything else.

"Okay, I'll go get in the car with Jessica."

And with that, my father walked off and my mother gripped my hand, leading me towards the car. She opened the door for me and I bent down and went in. Then I heard my phone ding a text, I pulled it out of my pocket and looked at who it was. It was my friend, Casey.

She asked me if I was ok and if I was hurt. I told her I was fine and waiting in the car with my mother, waiting for my dad to drive us to Papa Johns. She said that she was so worried and loved me very much. Then I smiled again and saw my dad walking towards the car. I told Casey that I had to go and sent a smiley face along with that message. Casey replied almost instantly and sent a heart emoji and said good bye.

My dad pulled the drivers door open and bent down into the car. "The police said they would inform us if they find anything." he said.

"Okay then." she said, then turned around towards me.

"Dear, what kind of pizza do you want?" she asked me.

There was a long pause as I thought about what i was craving. Then I finally answered.

"Um...is Papa Johns ok?"

"That sounds great Jessica," she said, then pulled out her phone and called Papa Johns, placing the order.

* * *

After pizza, we came home at around eleven at night. I had fallen asleep along the way. My father turned off the ignition and looked over in my direction. He smiled as had petted my sleeping face, and got out of the car. he pulled open my door and put his hands under my bottom and neck and hoisted me up. He carried me into the house and opened the door, he glanced back at my mom, who was grabbing her purse and getting out of the vehicle. My dad opened the door and carried me upstairs, to my room. He lay me on the bed and untied my sneakers and dropped them on the floor. He pulled down the covers and buried my body beneath them. He then leaned over and kissed my cheek, and said, "good night, Jessica."

Just before he left the room, I forced my self to say goodnight to him. "Good....Night..." I said.

My father smiled and cut off the light, leaving me alone in my dark room, only the nightlight in the corner was casting a small beam of light towards the ceiling.