Twenty-three

After lunch, Casey and I swam for a little while longer, then we went back to her house. Chills still ran down my spine after I heard Mr. Elsie was released. I didn't want to go back there, I wanted to stay with my friend. But I had no choice.

"Honey, I'm going over to Mr. Elsie's so make sure Jessica will be safe there," Sully called.

"Ok, be back in time for dinner," Tess called back.

Then with that, Sully hugged me and Casey and walked out the door. I stared out the foggy window at him, until his car was completely out of sight. I wondered if Mr. Elsie was a good person now, I wondered if maybe he changed after what he did to me. I wanted tasty with Casey and her parents so much. I felt truly at home with them. But the police said I had to go back. I have to stay with my closest relative after my parents died. That's the law.

"So, you won't be staying here tonight?" Casey asked out of nowhere.

I turned my head, and placed my hand on her shoulder. "I don't know Casey," I said. "I hope I will stay here, but Sully said I will be returned to Mr. Elsie's."

Casey sighed. She rubbed her eyes, trying to keep herself from crying. "When you go back, please come visit me often," she said shakily.

I nodded. "I will, Casey."

We both hugged each other tightly. I could feel Casey's shoulders shaking from her sobs. But we let each other go when we heard the door open. I turned my head to see who it was. It was Sully, but his eyes were blank. "Jessica, I am going to take you home," he said in a flat tone.

I stared at him. "Sully are you ok?" I asked.

Sully's eyes were still completely blank. "Come with me. It will be ok," he said. I heard hisses in his voice, which made my heart skip a beat.

I shook my head. "You aren't yourself," I said.

Sully stared at me with his wide blank eyes. Then he raised his hand, and snapped his fingers. An invisible force shook the house. Casey froze, so did Tess. Everyone in the house was frozen except for me and Sully. "Come with me, now," he ordered.

"Go away!" I screamed.

Then Sully lurched forward. He grabbed my arm, then everything turned to white light. I felt time speed forward, and then we arrived at Mr. Elsie's.

I was terrified. I tried to break free from Sully's iron grip, but then I froze in inconceivable fear when I heard a dark familiar voice. "Hello, welcome back Jessica," said Mr. Elsie.

I turned around. One next to the other, Carlen, Mrs. Elsie, and Mr. Elsie stood there, towering over me with pure black eyes.