Eleven

"Jessica! Wake up!" Mrs. Elise hollered up the stairs.

I groaned and covered my head with my pillow; then Mrs. Elsie got impatient. "WAKE UP NOW!" she yelled.

That wail of command made me jump. I remembered one of the "rules" Mrs. Elise told me last night. So I quickly came out from under my blankets and shouted back at her. "Coming!"

I slid of my bed and walked to the other side of the small room and popped open my suitcase. I pulled out my favorite out fit, a cobalt blue short-sleeve and blue denim shorts knee length. I took of my PJs and slipped on my shorts, then removed my shirt and put on the cobalt one. I quickly ran down stairs and in to the kitchen; I took a seat next to Mrs. Elise, which I was grateful for because Carlen was on the other side of the table.

Mrs. Elise and all the others stared at me as if I was forgetting something, or like a screamed the F-bomb. "Umm, iss..there something I'm doing wrong?" I asked awkwardly.

"You are supposed to get our cereal, dork." Carlen sneered.

"Watch your mouth, Carlen." Mrs. Elise warned.

Carlen stuck her tongue out at her mother again, but Mrs. Elise just frowned. Then she turned her focus on me.

"Yes, Jessica. You have to get our cereal. Now hurry up, I'm hungry."

"But-"

"Do not protest!" Mr. Elise yelled, making me flinch.

Jeez, okay bossy. I thought to my self.

I decided that I better obey or else, I would get one of the consequences. I walked over to the row of green cabinets and opened the one closet to the oven. I pulled it open and looked around for the cereal I wanted and one for queen cranky and princes pouty. I pulled out a small box of Special-K for me and some Kix for everyone else. I set the boxes on the table and walked to the other cabinet to grab a few bowls. Once I had those, I set them on the table as well and went for the utensils. I then grabbed the milk and walked to the table and a bowl in front of each person, one at a time. I did the same with pouring the cereal and the milk, and giving out the spoons. None of them said thank you, they just started stuffing their faces greedily, which got me pretty mad. Then I sat myself down and poured my cereal and milk, said grace, then started eating.

* * *

Thankfully, it was Saturday so I no school. Carlen spent the whole time eating sick foods and watching friends, while Mrs. Elise and Mr. Elsie were in their room doing stuff I don't even want to talk about. I spent most of the morning watching SuperGirlyGamer or FaceTiming Casey. I constantly got called down stairs for doing stupid favors for everyone, mostly Carlen.

"Barfica! get me some ice cream!" she yelled from the living room.

"Just get it yourself you overfed brat." I murmured under my breath.

I trotted down stairs and went into the kitchen to get Carlen's ice cream. I opened the freezer and scanned the small frost covered oven top sized box looking for the ice cream, but we were out. I shut the door and yelled to Carlen.

"We are all out Carlen." I hollered.

"Well, go get me some more!" she whined.

"Ugh..." I grumbled.

"Use your money and get me strawberry."

That was it; my like for Carlen went all the way down to zero. She was a fat and ugly jerk. I patted my pockets to make sure I had my wallet, then I put on my hoodie and walked out the door. I got on my purple gear bike which I had in Mrs. Elise's trunk and pulled it out. It bounced slightly as it landed on the paved driveway, and then I shut the trunk. I hoped on my bike, and pushed one of the pedals with my foot that gave me enough speed to cruise down off the driveway and onto the street. I pedaled at a high speed and took various turns until I finally arrived at Dollar General. I parked my bike next to a lamp post and used a lock and chain to latch around the black post to keep it from being stolen. I walked through the lot as the cold autumn air stung my nostrils, and the damp air cooling my skin. I walked past a creepy looking punk with a bright blue Mohawk and several lip rings. I turned my gaze away from him so he wouldn't think I'm weird. Next to the dumpster, I saw a hobo sitting by a fire. More like a phosphorescence if you ask me. He stood there, with a sad, and pleading look on his face. I felt pathos for the man, so I pulled out my wallet and took out a twenty dollar bill and handed it to the man. He smiled with rejoice and started to cry a little. "Bless you, bless you lass." he said in a Scottish accent. While he said that, he bowed and pressed his hands together in thanks. I smiled back and said, "Your welcome sir," I smiled. "keep warm."

Then I left the man, smiling and singing some Scottish prayer I didn't know how to translate, and walked into Dollar General. I heard several beeps of cashiers scanning items and carts rattling about on the shiny tile floor. I went to the cold aisle and looked for strawberry ice cream. after a while of inquisitory, I finally found a quart of Bryer's strawberry ice cream. Before I could opened the freezer in which it was in, I heard my phone ring. I pulled it out of my pocket and answered who was calling before even looking at who it was. "Hello?" I said.

"It's been an hour Barfica!" whined Carlen's voice. "Why haven't you brought me my ice cream??"

I rolled my eyes. "It was traffic." I lied, so I didn't mention me giving money to the old man, which was forbidden for me to do while Mrs. Elise was in charge.

"I don't care! HURRY UP!" she yelled, them she hung up.

I shoved my phone into my pocket and opened the freezer and grabbed the ice cream. I carried it over to a cashier and set it on the conveyor belt, then it slowly slid over to the cashier. He scanned it with his price tool and press various keys on the cash register keyboard. "That'll be five dollars and twenty-three cents." he said.

I handed him the money and he offered me a bag, which I gladly endorsed. I put the ice cream in the bag and walked away, thanking the cashier. The automatic doors slither open, allowing me to exit. I walked through the parking lot and went over to the lamp post where my bike was. I unlocked the lock on the chain and coiled it up and set it in the basket tied to the handles of my bike. I hopped on and sped away.

Once I arrived at Mrs. Elise's house, I parked my bike along side the porch and went inside. I was confused when I opened the door to find Mrs. Elise, Mr. Elise, and Carlen standing there. No one spoke, but Carlen walked over and snatched the ice cream out of my hand. "Now beat it, orphan." she spat.

I cocked my head to the side. "Orphan?" I asked.

"Yes." Mr. Elise said.

"Jessica, your parents are dead."

My jaw dropped, tears started to flood my eyes. The shock was so painful, it felt like someone stabbed me with a red hot knife in the heart. "D...dead?" I sobbed.

"They died in A storm; it tipped the boat over and no one survived.

I fell to my knees, and started to cry hysterically. My shoulders shook with every sob and tears were now soaking my hands because they were covering my face. My heart felt like iron and my soul torn; the level of grief that I was experiencing was so powerful, that I felt like screaming and killing myself. "No...No no no no no noooo.." I wailed.

"Barfica! shut up! I'm trying to watch my movie!"

Right after that, I ran out the door and into the streets. I ran and ran until I came to the edge of the neighborhood, and ran a field. I fell to the ground and wailed with pure grief, the screams of my sadness echoed throughout the streets and houses. I saw some people looking out their windows, but they shut either their curtains or blinds, leaving me to suffer alone. "Moooom!...Daad! No! Noooo!! no noo-oo-oo-o-o-o-oooo!!!"