Twenty-two

After we swam for a little while, Tess called Casey and I from the across the pool. "Casey, Jessica, time for lunch!"

Instantaneously, we climbed up the pool ladder. We strolled over to the table our bags were, leaving footprints caused by our wet feet. I scanned all of the food we had on the table: we had turkey and meatloaf sandwiches, a bag of barbecue chips, and one two liter of sprite. My stomach growled, and then I took a seat right next to my best friend. Before I even touched the food laid before me, I thanked Tess; "thank you for the food Tess."

"You're welcome, Jessica," she replied, chewing on a sandwich.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sully by the front door, talking on the phone. He seemed upset for some reason. His voice was raised; I could hear it. But I couldn't make out what he was saying, but I heard three words that sent chills down my spine. He is released?

I knew that Sully was talking about Mr. Elise. I knew that meant I was going back soon. I tried my best to hide the fearful look on my face, so I just took a swig of sprite to keep my mind off of the fact that the psycho Mr. Elise has been released.

Eventually, Sully joined us at our table. He still seemed a little frustrated, but I could see he was trying to hide it. He made me chuckle for the first time in awhile when he licked his lips like those 1950 cartoon characters and leaned over to the meatloaf sandwiches, and said; "ooh, yummy!"

Then he snatched one and started munching. Tess rolled her eyes and drank from her cup, smiling. Then Tess leaned over to Sully, and tapped his shoulder. "Hey, babe, what was that phone call all about?" she asked.

The happiness drained away from Sully's face. He set down his sandwich and sighed. "Mr. Elsie got released today," he began. "Jessica will be leaving tomorrow."

"No! She can't leave!" Casey protested. "That man is a psychopath! He'll abuse Jessica until she dies!"

I didn't like what Casey said. Not one bit.

"Casey, it's fine, the police have spies there. They will watch the house," Sully said.

Casey was now in tears. She choked back a sob and walked away, leaving her sandwich alone on the table. Sully sighed and hid his face behind his hands. He stroked his eyes (which were shut, obviously,) and shook his head.

Well, that's it, I thought. I am going back. But maybe things will be better now that Mr. Elsie learnt his lesson.

But I was completely wrong. I had not the slightest clue what was coming...

A/N:

Hey guys! Sorry for the short chapter! I only had a little time to write today because my aunt had a baby a little while ago, and my grandmother, aunt, and a few of my cousins are staying at my place for a day or two.
Anywho, please vote and comment if you enjoyed chapter twenty-two!

Peace! ✌🏻

Cam Jenkins