Chapter Three

Safaa...

You know when something happens and you keep on wishing it's a dream? You blink your eyes several times but you suddenly realise it's not a dream but a reality and you have to face it?

In my 18 years of living I've never been in a situation like this,I lost my voice upon seeing my Uncle but I know I have to defend myself even if they won't believe me,so mustering enough courage I manage to find my voice.

"Kawu I can explain please" I pleaded breaking down.

"Explanation? After all what I've seen? Just keep mute and follow me home,I bet your father will be heartbroken when I tell him what I saw you doing,Subhanallah Safara'u that's not what you're taught at home"

"But....." I stammered.

"Will you just shut up?" He bellowed and began walking with me following him in a tow.

I thought of everything drastic that could happen when my father hears this.I know it's my fault for not heeding to Aisha's advice,but the deed is done now,I know I have transcend my limits and I have to accept whatever punishment they will make me go through.

"Safaa" My mother exclaimed when we entered the house,she must have been worried sick looking for me.

My father is sitting on a mat just scrutinizing my face,thinking of what he'll do to me for breaking his rules consecutively.

"Mama" I croaked.

"Safaa where have you been? Aisha said you're at the Islamiyyah and I sent Jibrin to look for you"

"He didn't find her there did he?" My father spat.

"Calm down Abubakar,well atleast for now,Wait until I tell you what I saw her doing"

"Innalillahi wa inna ilaihir raji'un,Yaya what do you mean by that?" My mother asked.

"I always tell you to keep an eye on your daughter Habu,but you spoiled her because she's your only child"

My father ignored his brother's comments and calmly asked me.

"Safaa what's going on? Why did you stay out late?"

"Ba...ba" I stammered.

"Don't even start talking,I saw your daughter in an uncompleted building with that boy,Moudu"

"What?" My mother shrieked.

"I swear it's not like that I..." I began but the scorching pain of my father's palm on my face stopped me.

"So that's what made you stay out late yesterday too?" My father roared pointing his finger at me.

My mother became a spectator while my father vent out his anger.

"Ba...ba please" I manage to speak out though my voice is threatening to be absorbed by my sobs.

"Enough Safaa" My Baba said clutching his chest.

"See what you've caused? You know your father already has a heart problem,you just want to kill him" Kawu Sunusi said shooting daggers at me.

"Kawu can you just allow me to explain my...." I started again and the only thing I heard before becoming unconscious is the resonating sound of my father's palms on my face again.

🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

"Mama I had a bad dream" I whined opening my eyes but the look my Mama gave me made me recall the chaos my life is in.

"Safaa" She said softening.

"Mama please hear me out" I said allowing my tears fall freely.

"I will Safaa"