25 - Startling Discoveries pt. 2

Shocked is not even the word that can describe what I am feeling right now. I was gaping like a fish out of water despite the many people currently staring at me.

"What's going on?" I regain my composure a couple of minutes later, enough to gauge the cloud of despondency covering everything.

"Luna?" A young girl to my left ask, leaning over the bed frame with a slowness indicating she was as much in need of care herself as the women she was tending. She stopped to check the IV attached to the woman adjacent to her. She was barely 10!

"Honey, will you tell me what's happened?" I walk toward her, keeping my steps slow and measured, my voice calm and gentle.

She shrugs, "They're ill."

"Do you know how long they've been here?"

"Aunty Rosie's been here the longest and everyone else came after."

Well that answered one question, I know where the women went when they disappeared, either to tend to the ill, or because they became ill themselves. I needed to get these women treatment and they needed it now.

"Okay, sweetie, why don't you come with me? And we'll get everyone here some help?" I hold my hand out to her to come with.

"But...but what if the bad man comes?" She asks as she stands, nervously biting her lip.

"Then we'll scare him away!" I say with cheer I don't really have. Who was this 'bad man' and what exactly did he do to scare her like this?

Our walk back to the pack house is short and silent, I'm too busy trying to remember markers to get myself back here again and the poor girl looks more nervous with each step we take. I wonder a little too late now I guess, how much of a culture shock this must be for her.

It's too late to turn back, I need to get those women the medical attention they need and this little girl as well as others like her the help they need. Easier said than done I supposed.

"Oh my gosh! Alex! Will you tell this weird stalker man? He saw me at the grocery store and followed me all the way here!" Clara's exasperated voice calls out to me as I enter the house.

I notice how the little girl stays behind me as we enter the kitchen, shying away from the hulk of a man on the other side of the room.

"Why are you here?" I ask him, not wanting to deal with any more drama than necessary.

"Luna, with all due respect, I'm one of the Appointed, from the Council and am here to help. I have been in your territory for less than a week and today I was blessed to find my mate."

Oh.

Well then.

"Okay so, as Luna of this pack, I thank you and welcome you into our territory for the duration of your stay –" I start my little speech only to be interrupted by.

"Did you seriously just welcome my stalker into your pack?! You're supposed to be my best friend!" Clara screams indignant.

"As I was saying," I shoot daggers with my eyes at her, "I think you will find my friend a little ignorant about what is going on here and so will just need to be patient while she understands. I'll talk to her. Appointed, please do not take offense before proceeding I would like to see some form of identification." He steps forward to put his badge on the counter. "Thank you,  I need to you to get a medical team out here ASAP, we have numerous women suffering from an unknown disease, would help if the doctors were women and a few therapists too."