Chapter 12

Dan's POV

I wake up the next morning feeling refreshed, despite my aching muscles. They don't hurt as bad as they would if they weren't for the recovery therapists that Eden has, but they're still pretty sore. I can function though, and I should be able to get through the day without giving any kind of indication that I'm in any kind of pain. I've certainly done it before.

Then I remember the promotion I've received. A wave of relief washes over me. If Head-Honcho was willing to give me such an important promotion at the agency, he clearly trusts me and thinks that I'm suitable not only for the job that I'm on now, but for others more complicated as well. He trusts me with the mission that I'm on now and has told me that I don't need to worry about how long it may take, which has restored my faith that I won't have to face any consequences that the Eden agency may have towards agents who are unable to complete missions. Because it isn't that I'm unable to complete it, right? It's just harder than I thought it would be. I haven't gotten enough information from Phil. I haven't gotten him to trust me enough. 

I haven't gotten enough personal gain.

This guy could very well fix me. I don't know how to deal with everything that I've been going through lately, but he does. Or, at least, he seems to know. Besides, I need to gain his trust more too. Sure, we've made friends with one another and we've hung out a few times - actually, now that I think about it, we've hung out quite a bit - but I still need to connect on a bit more of a deeper level with him, I think.

It's different with him. With other targets, I haven't always necessarily had to get deep and personal with them to get under their skin or to get the information that I need. Sometimes I do, but it's not often. However, Phil just happens to be one of the cases where in order to get the satisfactory information that I need for my agency, I need to get on a deeper level with him. I need to find out if he's dangerous, and if he is, how dangerous.

Or, maybe he's just some kid that happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Just a kid who witnessed a murder.

An assassin, but a murder nonetheless.

I wondered if maybe it was his father, but he told me that he'd lost his father in a car accident.

Unless that was a lie.

But why would he feel the need to lie about that?

I can think of no reason why.

I need to get to know him better though...just in case.

After I shut my alarm off, I sit up in bed and stretch. Then, I grab my phone, and decide to send a quick text message to Phil.

Feeling better, I'll definitely be at school today :)

It was nice yesterday when Phil texted me to ask if I was okay. He seemed concerned about me, which is a sensation that I'm not entirely used to, but that I'm not opposed of either. Someone actually caring about me, someone my age, for that matter, is not something I'm used to. Even after years of my biggest mentor clearly showing that he cared for me and I reciprocated it, there was always something so foreign about it. It felt wrong that I felt good about being loved. It felt wrong that I had an attachment to someone else. Because Eden always taught us to never care, to never feel. So I tried not to. And for the most part, I do a fairly good job. However, when someone else shows such emotions to me, I almost yearn for it...

Almost.

I receive a text from Phil a moment later.

Awesome! I'll see you there!