Chapter 16

Dan's POV

"Well now I just feel bad for all those gay jokes I made!" Chris exclaims.

Phil bursts into laughter, looking happier than I've ever seen him since we met. He came out as gay to his mother on Friday evening as planned. He texted me Friday evening, telling me every detail of what happened and that it all went well. We kept in touch throughout the weekend and he told me he hasn't felt this close to his mum since his dad died. Phil has been a complete ray of sunshine, and yesterday he told me that he planned on coming out to Chris, PJ and Louise and pretty much everywhere else too.

I actually do think it's quite brave of him to jump into all of this so fast. He just doesn't want to hide anymore is what he says. He wants to be free to express himself, and I really just can't help but think that that's really admirable, despite how hard I'm trying to kill this guy. This has been a really good weekend for Phil and I'm actually really happy for him in this moment.

Telling the rest of our friends was actually pretty hilarious. It wasn't raining when we arrived at school, so everyone was standing out in front of the school, chattering away when Phil approached the group and I followed shortly after. Phil immediately said that he had something to tell his friends, and then pretty much just straight up said that he was gay and didn't want to keep it a secret anymore, which led to Chris' hilarious exclamation of guilt and the fit of laughter that Phil is currently still in.

"Don't worry about it," Phil says through laughs, "I honestly just figured you were suspicious of me like the rest of the world was."

"Well, we were suspicious," PJ says.

Louise hisses, "Yeah, sorry, we kind of figured it out by now."

"It's okay, so did my mum."

"You told her and she said she knew?" Chris asks.

"Preeeeeetty much. But it was a good thing; it actually made me telling her a lot easier."

"It's just a tragedy that Cosette clearly doesn't know," I point out.

Phil sighs, "I'm going to have to talk to her about that, aren't I?"

"I'm afraid so," I say, giving him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder.

"I'll worry about that when I see her. I'm going to go put my things in my locker."

"I'll go with you."

Louise, PJ and Chris all glance at each other. I choose to ignore it.

Phil and I head inside.

The fact that Phil is gay and has been so open about it has given me the ultimate weakness. I can totally, totally use this against him. He clearly trusts me already if he was willing to have me be the first person he told about his sexuality. That in itself has given me a lot of confidence in this mission. However, I could also use this in...other ways...I've done various things with various people of various genders in order to get closer to them in previous jobs, and I could certainly do the same with Phil. A little innocent flirting here and there wouldn't do too much harm. If I need to do more than just a little innocent flirting, then so be it. However, that does require me getting a little bit more information...

"So, now that you're officially out for the most part, do I have permission to tease you and ask you inappropriate questions?" I joke.

Phil rolls his eyes, "I guess," He chuckles.

"What's your type?"

He shrugs, "I don't know. I'd prefer to be with something that I have some things in common with. I mean, I don't want to date my twin necessarily, but I'm not really an 'opposites attract' kind of person. As far as appearance goes though, I don't think I really have a 'type'. If I'm attracted to you, I'm attracted to you."