Chapter 28

Dan's POV

"Ph-Phil..."

How does he know who I am?! He just referred to me as Agent Ten!

What if he really has been dangerous this entire time?

What if Eden was right...?

"This is what we're going to do," Phil says, "We're going to go into the basement. I will ask you some questions and you will answer them. After that, I'll decide what to do with you."

I decide not to argue. My best bet at getting a proper explanation of all of this and making it out alive is to just cooperate.

I swallow, then nod, "Okay," I calmly state, "I've never been in your basement, where is it?"

"Down these stairs and to the right," Phil says, "And if you try anything, I will kill you."

My heart breaks.

The boy I've fallen in love with, threatening to kill me.

This certainly isn't a situation I was expecting.

I swallow down the lump in my throat and we head down to the basement.

"Open the door. There's a light switch on your left, turn it on. Watch your step," Phil says.

I nod and do what he says. I open the door, switch on the light, and we begin our descent down the stairs. Phil shuts the door behind us and we continue down. The basement looks newly cleaned and organized, which is what Phil's mum must have been doing down here yesterday. Is Phil's mum like this too?! Is she dangerous?! What's going on?!

"That table over there, with the boxes," Phil says, "Open one of them."

"Does it matter which one?"

"No, just open one. It'll explain some things, I think."

I hesitate, afraid of what I might find in these boxes. However, I'm a little bit more afraid of the gun pointed at my head, so I approach the table. Phil doesn't move from his spot, but I do notice that he keeps the gun pointed at me. It's the same gun that I used to try to kill myself...I guess I know where he hid it now.

I unfold the flaps of the middle box and look at what's inside.

"A bunch of...photos?"

"Take one of them out. Take out the one in the frame."

Amongst the many unframed photos and Polaroids is one decent sized framed photo of four people. I pick it up and hold it, observing the people in it. I see a young Phil and Martyn...and Phil's parents.

I gasp.

I set the picture down and take a step back from it.

Standing next to Phil's mother in the picture...

...is Thirty-One.

"You know who that is, don't you?" Phil asks.

I look to Phil in complete shock, "He..." I trail before finally getting the courage to say it, "He was your father."

"Right you are."

"Then why would Eden want you killed?!" I ask, assuming he already knows about the situation, "He was a respected agent at Eden! Why would they want to kill the son of someone like him?"

"You're still not getting it, are you?"

"What am I not getting?"

Phil lowers the gun, "The Eden Agency killed my father."