Chapter 33

Phil's POV

Two weeks later.

"Uno!" I declare, setting a card down onto the deck.

I'm sitting cross-legged outside of Dan's cell. He's sitting on the other side, across from me, four Uno cards in hand. He smirks at me.

"Not for long," Dan says before putting the 'draw four' card down.

"Dammit!" I exclaim before grabbing four more cards.

"The color is red," Dan says.

I huff and put a red card down. He does the same. I put down another red card, then he puts down a red reverse card, making it his turn again.

"Uno!" He exclaims before putting down his last card, "Ha! I win, bitch!"

I throw my head back and groan, "You suck."

"And you swallow."

I roll my eyes, "Wanna play again?"

"Sure."

We begin gathering the cards up again.

"Let me shuffle this time, you're awful at shuffling," Dan says.

"I am not!"

"Did you not see how many red cards I had just then?"

"Okay, touché."

Dan chuckles and takes the rest of the cards before beginning to shuffle them.

"I should just automatically be the shuffler. I deserve to have as much fun as possible before I receive my death sentence tomorrow."

"You're not getting a death sentence."

"Do you know that for sure?"

I don't answer.

Dan just nods, "That's what I thought," He mumbles.

"I'm not allowed to tell you what they have in mind; you know that."

"I know that, and I respect that. But they don't have a definitive answer yet, do they?"

"Well, no; the trial isn't until tomorrow."

"Exactly. Therefore, the death sentence is entirely possible."

"How optimistic of you," I state, sarcastically.

Dan shrugs, "You've got enough optimism for the both of us."

I manage a small smile, "I guess so."

Dan mirrors my smile, then gathers seven cards and hands them to me through the bars of the cell. He then gathers seven of his own cards, then sets the rest of the deck down between us.

I've come to see Dan every day for the past two weeks. When school resumed after holiday break, I wasn't given much of a choice other than to go back and resume with things as normal. I told Louise, Chris and PJ that, as predicted, Dan had to move away suddenly and was now residing elsewhere. After school though, I come here every day to see Dan for a little while. Sometimes we play games, sometimes we just talk...

"How do you keep winning?" I ask him when we finish playing this round of Uno.

"I let you win a ton yesterday! It was your birthday after all, I had to do something."

I chuckle and shake my head, "I'll beat you eventually."

Dan starts shuffling the cards again, "Did you actually do anything fun for your birthday yesterday?"