Chapter 35

Phil's POV

"But anyway, a couple of the agents that work here reside at the dormitory building we have, so you'll be staying there during your training and whatnot, and that'll help to keep you safe from Eden. And I'll come here to see you as often as possible. It won't be very often that we'll be apart. Once I finish up with school, I'll be here all the time," I explain to Dan in the elevator.

Dan smiles, "I can't wait for that," He says, "So, where are we going now?"

"Just wait..." I say, unable to help but smile.

Dan narrows his eyes at me, "Phil, what have you got planned?"

"The President of The Red Core would like to see you."

"What?"

The elevator dings, then the doors open. Dan's eyes widen and my smile grows.

"Dad!" I exclaim.

My dad chuckles as I drag Dan out of the elevator. He walks over to us and quickly hugs us both. Dan just stares at him with extremely huge eyes.

"What's the matter, Ten - or Dan, I guess I should call you. You look like you've seen a ghost," My dad comments.

"I-I feel like I have!" Dan exclaims, "You're dead! You've been dead for months now!"

"Not quite."

Dan then whirls around to face me, "You! Did you know about this?!"

"I've only known for a couple of weeks."

"Why didn't you tell me?!"

"I wasn't allowed! I'm not allowed to share extremely valuable information with prisoners. But you're not a prisoner anymore, so I can tell you everything!" 

"Why don't we sit?" My dad suggests. 

We're in a lobby-like area, so we find a couple of chairs and sit down. Dan looks incredibly confused, so I do my best to explain everything to him.

Basically, I start from the very beginning. My family has always been heavily involved in The Red Core. My parents were both agents here, which was how they met. Most of the agents at The Red Core have lives outside of the agency; they have families, they have friends - to the naked eye, they have a normal life. It's the best of both worlds.

My mum has always been more on the business side of things, while my father was an outgoing agent. He became one of the top agents at Red, and this was how he got chosen to go undercover and begin "working for" the Eden agency as one of the education directors. All the while, he was feeding The Red Core information on how Eden was running itself, which is part of the reason why we have been superior to them for so long. Through working "for" Eden as an education director, my dad came across who would one day be known as Agent Ten.

It was sheer luck, really. Eden wanted to experiment with some new methods for education to create better, stronger agents. As "Agent Thirty-one", my dad had become an extremely trusted agent at the Eden agency, therefore they trusted him to experiment with some of these new methods of education. He was given one child and one chance. The child he was given was Dan.

Dan as taught by some of his other education directors the things that Eden usually teaches their future agents; how to fight, how to defend yourself, how to use weapons, and so on. My dad, however, taught Dan how to be a kid. They played, they read stories; because my dad had already known so much about what really happens within the Eden agency, he wanted to try and raise up an agent to have compassion and understanding and empathy. He wanted to see if there was any hope for these poor kids being raised with an Eden education.