Chapter 32

Dan's POV

I wake up some time later, alone. The sound of the tree door creaking open is what awakes me, and then light suddenly floods the small bunker Phil and I camped out in last night. There's no windows and this bunker is underground, so I assume Phil is doing this to let some light in. I blink a few times, then prop myself up on an elbow and see Phil climbing back down the ladder in nothing but his boxers and glasses, which was quite the sight for me.

Memories from the night before began to come back to me. I went back to Eden. I rescued Maria's baby. Phil helped me. We came back here and amazing things happened...

I left Maria behind.

I try my hardest to shake that thought out of my head and turn my focus to my boyfriend (is that the first time I've called him that?) as he turns towards the bed again and sees that I'm awake. He's surprised at first, but then he smiles.

"Hey, you."

"Hey," I say.

Phil comes over to the bed before leaning down and pecking my lips. He then crawls back into bed with me and I nuzzle myself into his chest.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"I don't know. Midday," Phil answers, "How are you feeling?"

"Fine at the moment, but I haven't moved much yet, so I don't really know."

Phil nods, then kisses the top of my head. He runs his fingers through my hair a little bit, then I finally speak up again.

"What's going to happen when we get to your agency?" I ask, "I mean...do they do to their enemies what Eden does to theirs?"

Phil sighs, "I was afraid you'd ask that," He says, "You'll be tried, for lack of better words."

"A trial?" I ask, "So then...that includes at the very least temporary imprisonment before the trial."

Phil sighs again, then releases me and stands. He paces around the room a moment and I just watch him as he thinks. When he finally turns to face me again, his eyes are watery. He sits on the edge of the bed, then leans down and kisses me again, for longer this time. When we come apart, he rests his forehead on mine.

"I will do everything in my power to get us out of this and into a life where we can be together."

"Phil, it's not your fault."

"I'll make sure they're fair to you, but I have to follow protocol. You're a former Eden agent, and a notorious one at that. The Red Core may not even know yet that you've resigned from Eden. They might - "

"Phil," I interrupt, "I trust you."

Phil pauses a moment, I guess to let my words resonate with him a moment, then he nods and kisses me once more. Then we come apart and just...lay there together a moment.

"We should start getting ready," Phil then says, "You pack your things and I'll get some food together for us."

x

We got dressed and put our things together. Once I got moving, I did realize that I was a little bit sore and did my best to hide it, to no avail though; Phil could see right through me. I could tell by the look on his face.

Once I got everything together, I went up to Phil as he got out some of the food that he brought yesterday. I wrap my arms around his torso from behind and kiss his cheek.

"I'm okay, baby, really."

"How'd you know that was what I was going to ask?" Phil chuckles.

"Lucky guess."