Chapter 34

Dan's POV

When I wake up, Phil isn't there.

His sleeping bag and pillow are gone. My back is sort of stiff from sleeping on the floor, but it's nothing terrible. At my feet is a piece of paper with something written on it. I pick it up and read it. I smile. In Phil's handwriting, it reads:

Went to shower up and get ready. I'll come back before it's time to go :)

I put everything away and remake my bed, then breakfast is served shortly, earlier than usual. For once, I don't have much of an appetite, and food doesn't seem that appealing to me, but I eat because I know that if Phil comes down here and sees I haven't eaten, he'll give me a thousand different reasons as to why I need to. So I force the food down, despite how good it actually is - this agency gives their prisoners actual food, unlike Eden who feeds their prisoners scraps - and finish just in time for my escorts to arrive.

My heart falls, as I hadn't yet gotten the chance to say goodbye to Phil, but I obey all of their commands and put my hands behind my back as they open the cell and bind my wrists. There's four different guards in here, simply to escort me to where my trial is going to be held. Am I really considered that big of a threat? That they felt the need to have four really hench agents escort me? Two of the agents grab hold of me, one grabbing each arm, and the two other agents stand behind me. My cell is shut and we face the door.

"Let's move out," The one holding my left arm says.

The door suddenly opens.

"Wait!" Phil exclaims, dashing in and running up to me. He collides with me, and I stumble at the impact of him wrapping his arms around my shoulders. The two agents grabbing me release their hold on me and everyone seems to step back in the presence of Phil. Phil steps back a bit and looks at me with tears in his eyes.

"Sorry I'm late. I'm here now."

He then presses his lips to mine, apparently not caring that we have an audience. I kiss him back though, not knowing how many other chances I'd get to, and it's been so long since I've kissed him. When we come apart, he rests his forehead on mine a moment and we just...stand there, listening to each other breathe and enjoying being in each other's presence.

Phil then breaks our embrace and steps back. He looks at the other agents before us.

"Release him from his restraints," Phil demands.

"B-But he's a prisoner; we have to - "

"That was not a request; that was an order. In case you don't remember, I am the son of the President of this entire agency."

My eyes widen, "Excuse me?!"

"Release him. Now," Phil growls, "I will escort him to his trial."

I suddenly feel my wrists becoming unbound. I just continue to gape at Phil, even as my hands become freed. Phil notices this and just winks at me. He takes my hand and smiles to me.

"Shall we?"

I just nod, not knowing what else to say.

Phil and I walk out, hand-in-hand with the four other agents behind us. 

"So, were you planning on telling me your mother is the President of this place?" I ask.

"She isn't."

"But you just said - "

"I told you I'd tell you everything when all of this is over, right?"

I huff, "Yes. But how do we know this is going to work out?"